On Tuesday morning, University President Peter Salovey, Mayor Justin Elicker and School of Management Dean Kerwin Charles convened to announce updates on the Center for Inclusive Growth, an SOM-led initiative that promises to connect New Haven entrepreneurs with Yale resources. 

At the press conference, Charles outlined three future programs under the Center for Inclusive Growth: an education program for local entrepreneurs taught by Yale faculty, a paid internship program that places Yale students in the Mayor’s office and an “exploration” of how Yale resources can benefit New Haven entrepreneurs.

“We’re working actively on finding ways to bring the growing entrepreneurial sector here in New Haven under the umbrella of SOM,” Charles said. 

Elicker also announced the Center’s search for its first executive director and revealed that it will have a physical office located at 65 Audubon St. 

Elicker and Salovey unveiled their initial plan for the Center for Inclusive Growth in November 2021. The Center was established as part of a six-year deal between Yale and New Haven that increased the University’s annual voluntary contribution to the city. Eight months prior to the deal, the city of New Haven announced it was facing a fiscal crisis, with a projected budget deficit of $66 million for the 2021-2022 fiscal year. In response, activists launched a “Yale: Respect New Haven” campaign that demanded the University do more to offset city revenue lost through its tax-exempt properties. 

Yale’s contribution to the city totalled $23.2 million in 2022 and $23.7 million in 2023 — a roughly $10 million increase from its annual voluntary contribution of $13 million before the 2021 agreement. 

Elicker said that increased funding through the state’s Payment in Lieu of Taxes program coupled with the University’s increased voluntary contribution has allowed the city to invest historic amounts into its pension fund. He said that supporting the pension fund has helped the city ensure that they follow through on their “promises” to retired city employees. 

He added that the influx in funding has also allowed New Haven to “help address some of the historic debt problems that the city has struggled with.” 

The University has committed five million dollars toward establishing the Center for Inclusive Growth. Salovey said that the Center may be a “potential target for future philanthropy” from Yale alumni.  

“When I talk to alumni of Yale University, many of them think about their time at Yale and their love of the city,” Salovey said. “I think [the Center] could be a very appealing target for them.”

Questions about budgeting breakdowns, the number of employees the Center is looking to hire and the opening date are still up in the air. According to Salovey, these details will be resolved after the center hires an executive director. 

The employment firm Kaiser Whitney will manage the Center’s search for an Executive Director. Elaine Kaiser, Kaiser Whitney’s managing director, said that search was in the very initial stages and Elicker and Salovey had “not yet” communicated with her what they were looking for in a director. 

Charles promised to prioritize the needs of city residents over the interests of University faculty and officials when designing the Center’s programing. 

“There’s problems I want to study, but I don’t know if that’s where a city resident wants us to work,” he said. “An important foundational part of what we’ve been doing is gathering that information.” 

Elicker’s proposed city budget for the 2023-2024 fiscal year totals $665 million.

MAGGIE GRETHER
Maggie Grether covers housing and homelessness for city desk. Originally from Pasadena, California, she is a sophomore in Ezra Stiles college.