David Zheng, Senior Photographer

On the evening of Mar. 29, Yale students and staff gathered in the Trumbull College dining hall to welcome Fahmeed Hyder GRD ’95 as the college’s next head. 

Hyder — professor of biomedical engineering at the School of Engineering & Applied Science and professor of radiology & biomedical imaging at the School of Medicine — will begin his five year term on July 1. Anita Sharif-Hyder, will join him as Trumbull’s next Associate Head. Hyder succeeds current Trumbull Head of College, Margaret Clark.

“Both Anita and I embrace the prospect of hospitality and connection,” Hyder said in his speech to the Trumbull community. “We bring our cross-cultural celebrations to this vibrant and diverse Trumbull community. We look forward to enriching your memories by creating a warm community at Trumbull college.” 

As a founding member of Yale’s Department of Biomedical Engineering, Hyder’s research focuses on using brain mapping to identify degeneration and cancer. Hyder earned his doctoral degree in biophysical chemistry from Yale in 1995. He has been a faculty member at the University since 1999, currently serving as a professor of both diagnostic radiology and biomedical engineering.

In his opening address at Wednesday’s ceremony, Dean of Yale College Pericles Lewis spoke about Hyder’s Bangladeshi background and the path that led him to become a scientist.

“Professor Hyder’s long journey to Yale has included periods of living as a refugee, seeing first hand exposure to climate change, encountering religious disparities and experiencing life as an immigrant during the 9/11 tragedy,” Lewis said at the announcement.

Sharif-Hyder, who currently serves as associate secretary for the University-Wide Committee on Sexual Misconduct, will join Hyder as the next Associate Head of Trumbull College. 

Sharif-Hyder has a background in psychology and international affairs. She has been a member of the Yale faculty since 2006, previously serving as Assistant Director of Programs and Admissions at Yale World Fellows.

Hyder and Sharif-Hyder’s two children, Leila and Arman Hyder, will join them in the College.

Erin Foley ’26 expressed excitement about having a head of college whose specialty lies in her realm of interest: STEM. 

“I find his story and the outcomes of his academic pursuits particularly inspiring, as he has contributed to the molecular imaging techniques relevant to the topics that I learned about in Applied Physics class at Yale this fall,” Foley said “I’m excited to have someone so immersed and instrumental to a field that I’m interested in as my Head of College.”

At the end of his speech on Wednesday, Lewis bid a farewell to outgoing Trumbull Head of College Margaret Clark, thanking her for her work. 

Clark has held the position of Head of Trumbull College since 2013, completing her second of the two standard five-year terms over break. 

“I asked some young alumni about Head Clark, and they mentioned her hospitality at all times, including during school recesses and study breaks,” Lewis said. “People also mentioned how supportive Head Clark has always been one-on-one with students whenever they are facing hard times.”

Clark then took to the stage to comment on her decade of service to Trumbull College and welcome Hyder to the community. Clark emphasized the importance of building relationships with students as a Head of College. She also addressed Hyder directly, sharing tips and her favorite memories from her tenure in the position. 

“You will build lifelong ties with students, fellows, staff members and several long lines of donors to the college,” Clark said. “Getting to know your students and your fellows over good meals is part of your job. Supporting your students is part of your job, and it’s so gratifying to be able to do that.”

Trumbull College is located at 241 Elm St. 

KAITLYN POHLY
Kaitlyn Pohly is a sophomore in Silliman College. She serves as the Student Life Reporter for the University Desk and previously reported on Student Policy and Affairs. Originally from New York City, Kaitlyn is a History major. Outside of the classroom and the newsroom, Kaitlyn dances with YaleDancers.
MOLLY REINMANN
Molly Reinmann covers Admissions, Financial Aid & Alumni for the News. Originally from Westchester, New York, she is a sophomore in Berkeley College majoring in American Studies.