Yale Athletics

The Yale women’s basketball team (13–14, 7–7) ended their season on Saturday with a 63–53 win against Brown University (11–15, 4–10). Before the game, the Bulldogs celebrated the career of their only senior, Camilla Emsbo ’23.

The Bulldogs fell behind by nine points with five minutes left in the second quarter, but a jumper from Avery Lee ’25 sparked the team into a 10-point run, which helped the Bulldogs end the half ahead of the Bears 33–28. Mackenzie Egger ’25 started scoring in the second half with a three pointer. Yale went on to shoot 57 percent from three in the second half of the game, but Brown went on to shoot only 16 percent from three. Yale rode their momentum to a 63–53 victory over the Bears.

Egger led the team with 12 points. Jenna Clark ’24 racked up seven assists and 11 rebounds, her career high in rebounds. 

“My teammates were boxing out really well and I was able to make reads and find the ball that way,” said Clark. 

The win over Brown put the Bulldogs’ Ivy League record at 7–7, making them third in Ivy League standings.

Before the game, Yale celebrated Camilla Emsbo ’23, the only senior on their roster, for her contributions to the program. Emsbo could not play this year due to an ACL injury which she suffered over the summer.

Last season, Emsbo was a unanimous All-Ivy First Team player. She led the Bulldogs with 14.1 points, 10.2 rebounds, and 2.2 blocks per game. 

“Senior night was incredibly special,” Emsbo told the News. “ To reflect on my career here at Yale with my teammates past and present was a very full circle moment. Despite my senior year going very differently than I had planned, I am so grateful for everything that I have learned in my time here. The Yale Women’s Basketball program will always mean so much to me and I hope to do them all proud next year!”

The NCAA permits athletes five total years of eligibility. Because Emsbo has played NCAA basketball for four years, she still has one more year of eligibility. 

Earlier this season, she committed to spend her fifth season playing as a graduate transfer on the Duke University women’s basketball team. The Blue Devils (25–6, 14–4 ACC) are currently ranked 13th in the nation, according to the AP Top 25 poll.

“She still is a superstar and is such an important member of this program and always will be.” Lee said. “I think everyone knows what she can do on the floor, but off the court she’s just someone who deeply cares about the people she loves and the things she loves, and she puts everything she has into everything she does every single day. I admire the way she carries herself and this season especially she’s been a great leader for us.”

Yale will miss Emsbo’s presence next year, but the Bulldogs will relish the return of the rest of the roster.

The 12 returning Bulldogs, in addition to the team’s incoming recruits, will build off the progress they made this season under first-year head coach Dalila Eshe. 

“I am so proud of them,” head coach Dalila Eshe told Yale Athletics. “It would have been easy to check out [the last two weeks] after we were eliminated [from playoff contention], but they stayed locked in and played for the love of the game. There’s a lot to build on and I’m excited to get back out on the court in the offseason.”

The Bulldogs will return to the court next winter for the 2023-24 season.

HENRY FRECH
Henry Frech is a junior in Jonathan Edwards College majoring in history and hailing from Salt Lake City, Utah. He covers volleyball and women's basketball for the YDN. This semester, he is studying abroad in Mérida, Mexico.