Jack Devlin

While the selection process for on-campus housing during the upcoming school year is not set to begin until March 8, some students’ housing journeys are already well underway. 

Students looking to transfer between residential colleges had to submit applications to the Yale College Dean’s Office by Feb. 13. The office then examined requests during a 10-day period and notified students of their final decision on Feb. 23. Of the 83 students who submitted requests to transfer residential colleges, 63 were approved. Last year, the office received 138 requests of which only 52 were approved. 

“Housing transfers need to balance out across the colleges,” Dean of Student Affairs Melanie Boyd told the News. “The total numbers in each college should stay the same, even as a small set of students move.”

While the option to transfer between residential colleges was suspended during the height of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Yale College Undergraduate Regulations for the 2022–2023 school year permitted students to request a change of college affiliation if “a student has compelling reasons and there is space in the college to which they wish to transfer.” 

Boyd elaborated that there are a few crucial factors that make a transfer application successful. These include the overall advising portfolio of the residential college dean’s office, the availability of housing and the presence or absence of student sponsors and prospective suitemates within the desired college. 

Siona Jain ’26, whose request to transfer from Pierson College to Trumbull College was accepted, explained that her reason for switching was entirely social, as most of her friends reside in Trumbull. 

“I requested a transfer because I’m currently in a stand-alone single on the Berkeley side of [Lanman Wright Hall] so I never got to know the Pierson girls well enough to pursue a suite together,” she explained. 

Similarly, Lauren Gilman ’26 also requested to change her affiliation from Benjamin Franklin College to Silliman College for social reasons. However, Gilman also noted a geographic convenience factor in connection with her request as Silliman is located more centrally on campus. Her request was also accepted.

Grace Hopper student Caroline Glessing ’26 was not successful in her request to transfer to Davenport College. 

“Many of my friends and teammates are in Davenport, so I thought it would be fun to room with my friends,” Glessing, who is a member of the track and field team, said. Despite having four student sponsors as prospective suitemates, Glessing’s request was denied. 

Although her application was unsuccessful, Glessing stated that the overall transfer process was clear and straightforward. Students wishing to transfer, Glessing explained, had only to write a short statement justifying their change of affiliation. 

Yale College has 14 residential colleges. 

KAITLYN POHLY
Kaitlyn Pohly is a sophomore in Silliman College. She serves as the Student Life Reporter for the University Desk and previously reported on Student Policy and Affairs. Originally from New York City, Kaitlyn is a History major. Outside of the classroom and the newsroom, Kaitlyn dances with YaleDancers.