MuscoSportsPhotos.com

While the Yale men’s squash team kept their clean sheet (3–0–0, 0–0–0 Ivy), the women’s squad (2–0–1, 0–0–0 Ivy) brought home their first close loss over the past weekend. 

On Friday, both Bulldog squads swept Williams College with 9–0 wins at the Brady Squash Center. Yale then packed their rackets to battle Drexel University in Philadelphia, PA on Sunday. While the men’s team brought home a 7–2 win, the women lost in a narrow 4–5 match-up.

“We took care of business and put forth solid individual performances,” coach Lynn Leong told Yale Athletics after the match on Friday. “These results directly reflect our team’s dedication and hard work. We look forward to building upon this momentum on the road against two top-ranked Drexel University teams this Sunday in Philadelphia.”

The Bulldogs were favored ahead of the home opener as Williams is ranked No. 14 and 15 for their men’s and women’s team, respectively. The Yale men’s squad is ranked No. 4 while the women’s squad No. 5. 

The Bulldogs did not lose a single game on Friday, as all individual players swept their opponents. Every player on both the men’s and women’s squads closed out their matches in just three sets.

At Drexel, however, the matches proved not to be so swift and easy.

The women’s team fought hard, but ultimately fell to No. 3 Drexel. Only Christy Lau ’25, Whitney Taylor ’26, Gigi Yeung ’24 and Mika Bardin ’26 were able to take down their opponents.

Regardless, the team is keeping a positive attitude as they are looking ahead to Ivy League play.

“It was exciting to watch my teammates fight for every point,” Meghna Sreedhar ’25 said. “I am looking forward to us keeping the momentum going as we enter our Ivy matches in January.”

The men’s squash team is ranked above Drexel at No. 7, and were able to bring the victory home with six Bulldogs sweeping their opponents. The men’s squad is still running undefeated in the season after beating University of Virginia earlier this fall.

For many of the Elis, the biggest game of the season is their next one when the Bulldogs will host the Crimson. 

“I honestly really just want to beat Harvard and win the Ivy League title,” Merrit Wurts ’25 wrote when asked about his hopes for the season. “Not much else to be said for that one.”

On January 13 of the next year, the Bulldogs will play their rival Harvard at the Brady Squash Center. At their last match up, Harvard swept the women’s team 9–0, and won against the men’s team 8–1.

Harvard is ranked No. 1 for their men’s squad and No. 2 for their women’s squad.

TOIA CONDE RODRIGUES DA CUNHA
Toia Conde Rodrigues da Cunha is the News' Instagram editor. Originally from São Paulo, Brazil, she is studying cognitive science as sophomore. Toia is also a staff reporter for the Sports desk and was a staff photographer.