Tim Tai, Photography Editor

Eric Jjemba LAW ’25 first remembers learning about the importance of securing democratic values from his parents. They both immigrated to the United States from Uganda, he explained, and their experience growing up in a new democracy trickled down to their attitude living in the United States.

This fall, Jjemba was one of six recipients of the Ally Financial Law and Public Policy Scholarship, which will cover $20,000 of his annual tuition each year of law school. The scholarship was created in partnership between Ally Financial — a digital financial services company — and the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation.  

“As far back as I can remember, public and community service and civic engagement have been really important parts of my life,” Jjemba said. “From volunteering for candidates and elected officials back in high school all the way to college.” 

Jjemba, who graduated from Harvard University with a degree in environmental science, shared that he took time off from school before the 2020 election as he grappled with the fear that democracy in America was under attack and “needed to be protected.” 

He spent that time in Philadelphia, registering young people to vote. Jjemba connected with new voters across the city outside of grocery stores and textbook pickup points. 

“It was one of the greatest experiences that I’ve had in my life so far,” Jjemba said. “It was extremely rewarding to work with young people who are really going to bear the brunt of a lot of issues that our society and country are facing.” 

Jjemba stumbled upon the Ally Scholarship last spring, after being admitted to several law schools and ultimately deciding on Yale. He said he knew that the choice to matriculate to the Law School would mean ample financial support from the school’s financial aid office, but he said he still wanted to seek out available opportunities to make law school more affordable. 

This is just the second year that the Ally Scholarship has awarded law and undergraduate students with the scholarship. The scholarship also has a mentoring component, which Jjemba described as the most rewarding part of the program so far. 

“Building authentic and meaningful relationships with these students is the hallmark of our program,” said Natasha I. Campbell, senior director and associate general counsel at Ally, in a press release announcing the recipients. “We are there for them, not just financially, but in navigating through the challenges of legal and public policy environments. It’s inspiring to see how passionate and focused they are, and it’s a privilege to join them in their journey.” 

Ally Financial is a financial services company comprising a digital direct bank, a consumer credit card business and a corporate finance business among other ventures. 

The Congressional Black Caucus is a nonpartisan and nonprofit institute dedicated to education and public policy. The institute was founded in 1976, and since then has dedicated itself to uplifting the African American and Black community globally. 

“I came across the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation, which does a great job of providing support to Black students who are pursuing a variety of graduate and professional school opportunities,” Jjemba said.

Sofia Moreno, a public relations representative for the scholarship, explained in an email to the News that students were encouraged to apply for the scholarship through the CBCF website. She said that as part of the application, aspiring recipients had to submit a personal statement about applicants’ interest in law or public policy careers as well as a video essay in which they were to discuss an accomplishment they were most proud of. 

Jjembe told the News that he is still exploring what he will do after law school and that his interests range from civic education to environmental science and technology and data privacy. The glue, he says, is an emphasis on helping young people who have “the biggest stake” in the problems public policy aims to solve. 

“Finding ways to bring [young people] to the table and ensure that their voices are heard and prioritized, and their interests are being protected is really kind of my motivating force,” Jjembe said. 

Ally Financial is headquartered in Detroit, Michigan.

INES CHOMNALEZ
Ines Chomnalez writes for the University desk covering Yale Law School. She previously wrote for the Arts desk. Ines is a sophomore in Pierson College majoring in History and Cognitive Science.