Jessai Flores

Thanksgiving in the South is basically the culinary Olympics. Think Hell’s Kitchen, except instead of Gordon Ramsey yelling at you, it’s a seemingly sweet little old lady at the church potluck telling you that your attempt at a cornbread casserole is “so precious.” Or worse, asking “Did you get this recipe out of Southern Living?” The answer is always yes, even the family recipes probably come from a magazine your grandma picked up in 1960, but you could never say that to a church lady. 

Lucky me, my family is not a pre-thanksgiving church potluck type. But I’ve tasted enough unique dishes, family recipes and yes, recipes right from the casserole gospel Southern Living itself to consider myself qualified to rank the Thanksgiving dishes I’ve seen on my family’s table and maybe yours.

11. Trout Amandine

When it comes to delightful fish dishes, trout amandine takes a well-deserved spot on this list. The delicate flavors of perfectly cooked trout, enhanced by the rich and nutty essence of toasted almonds, create a culinary symphony for the taste buds. Whether you’re enjoying a classic rendition or a creative twist on this beloved recipe, trout amandine showcases the harmony of textures and flavors that make it a true gastronomic delight. From elegant restaurant menus to home-cooked meals, trout amandine remains a timeless choice for seafood enthusiasts seeking a dish that effortlessly balances sophistication and comfort.

1. Creamed Corn

I don’t know if you’ve had the misfortune of eating this often watery, sloshy corn pudding, but I wouldn’t wish this dish on my worst enemy. If you listed this as one of your favorites, my back-home slang might just slip out with a, “bless your heart.”

1. Cranberry Sauce

Placing cranberry sauce so low on this list might turn some heads, but if the turkey is cooked well and the gravy is good, there is absolutely no need for cranberry sauce. And as much as I hate to say it, if your cranberry sauce isn’t sliced with the lines of the can showing, I want it even less.

1. Turkey 

The main dish of Thanksgiving is theoretically great. A juicy, well-seasoned turkey is probably my favorite dish on the table. But it is so rare for a turkey to not be absolutely bone-dry. (Dad, since I know you’ll read this, your turkey is never dry, but this article is speaking generally.)

1. Dinner Rolls 

Not good, not bad. I have no complaints, but at the same time I have no compliments in comparison to every other dish on the table. People go wild for them, but it’s bread. It’s bread, people.

1. Mac and Cheese

Mac and Cheese is one of those Thanksgiving dishes that just has to be done the right way. I’m not opposed to a casserole, but I am opposed to weird toppings on the mac and cheese. Feel free to experiment with your food, but do not put goldfish on your mac and cheese on Thanksgiving Day unless it’s going straight to the kids’ table.

1. Green Beans

For a long time, green beans were one of the only vegetables I actually liked to eat. I argue they aren’t good green beans if there’s no chopped bacon bits in it to give it a little more flavor.

1. Mashed Potatoes 

I had a childhood obsession with mashed potatoes. There were a solid two years where I made my mother cook mashed potatoes with every meal possible. So maybe it’s nostalgia that slides this dish into my top 5.

1. Stuffing

Stuffing cooked in the turkey with some homemade turkey gravy over the top is incredibly underrated. The savory, salty mix of bread, spices and vegetables is irreplaceable. It’s not Thanksgiving without it.

1. Pumpkin Pie

There’s something special about pumpkin pie in that there’s a very limited time of year that you can get it. Just like its other pumpkin flavored counterpart, the pumpkin spice latte, it isn’t even the flavor, but the limited fall only availability that makes pumpkin pie so desirable. That said, I love pumpkin pie for the flavor. Especially of the Costco variety. That pie could feed a small army and it’s absolutely delicious, for only ten dollars. It should be illegal. 

1. Sweet Potato Casserole

To be fair, I’m not sure if this is all that common, but mashed sweet potatoes with melted, browned mini marshmallows on top are the crème de la crème of the Thanksgiving table. I’m the kind of person who would eat dessert first if it was socially acceptable, so having these on my plate satiates me until I can bite into #2 on this list, pumpkin pie. 

By the time you’re reading this list, I know you’ve already put the creamed corn on your table and dressed your dry turkey with homemade cranberry sauce and beef gravy. But with any luck, this list will save you next year when you’re prepping to deal with the yearly passive aggressive dinner table arguments with relatives and “walks” with your favorite cousins.

BRI ANDERSON