Yale Athletics

This upcoming weekend, both the Yale men’s (1–0, 0–0 Ivy) and women’s (1–0, 0–0 Ivy) squash teams will host Williams College on Friday and travel to Drexel University on Sunday to continue season play. 

The Bulldogs will face off against Williams at 6:00 p.m. on Friday at the Brady Squash Center in New Haven. On Sunday, the Bulldogs will travel to Philadelphia to compete against Drexel University at the Kline & Specter Squash Center at 1:00 p.m. 

Both the men’s and women’s squash teams are off to a strong start this season. The Bulldogs won their first official matches of the season against the University of Virginia, beating the Cavaliers 6–3 in Charlottesville. 

“We hope to keep our momentum from our win against UVA and demonstrate all the hard work we’ve been putting into our practices on and off court,” Nina Mital ’25 said. 

The men’s squash team has performed well against Williams in the past. From 2011 to 2019, the Bulldogs have not lost a match to Williams. In 2019, the Bulldogs beat Williams 9–0. 

The women’s squash squad has also performed very well against Williams in the past, with the same unbeaten streak of 8–0 against Williams and last beat them 9–0 in 2019 as well. 

“In preparation for the matches this weekend, we are sharpening up our skills and our movement, and focusing on specific matchups and strategy,” Jed Burde ’24 told the News. “For us it’s two squash matches against good teams — it’s not much more than that.” 

On Sunday, the Bulldogs will travel to compete against Drexel in Philadelphia. 

From 2011 to 2019, the men’s team maintained a winning record of 5–3 against Drexel. Five out of the eight games in the past years have been away and the Bulldogs will be away again this year. The Bulldogs won all home games against Drexel. 

Women’s squash has competed well against Drexel with a winning streak of 8–0 from the years 2011 to 2019. 

“I am looking forward to our games against Williams and Drexel this coming weekend because we started off the season strong with our wins over UVA,” Max Forster ’25 said. “I am excited to continue these strong performances which will hopefully set us up nicely for the matches in the new year.”

Looking ahead, the Bulldogs have about a month break before they continue season play again. Both the men’s and women’s teams will begin play again in January. 

The Blue and White will host Harvard on Friday, Jan. 13. On Jan. 15, the Bulldogs will travel to Hanover to compete against Dartmouth.

BETSY GOOD
Betsy Good is an editor for the sports desk. As a staff writer, she covered the women's field hockey, men's and women's squash and men's baseball teams for the sports desk. She is a junior in Pierson College from Cincinnati, Ohio, majoring in History.