muscosportsphotos.com

In a battle of highly ranked schools, the Bulldogs’ men’s and women’s teams beat the Cavaliers in their home court.

This Saturday, the men’s and women’s squash teams traveled south through fog and rain to battle the University of Virginia’s Hoos in their McArthur Squash Center. Ranked No. 6 in the nation, the women’s squash team faced No. 8 UVA, and brought home a win of 6–3. 

“This weekend, I saw a team that believes in the process over the outcome,” men’s and women’s coach Lynn Leong wrote to the News. “Each individual understood and executed their role on the court to accomplish our team goal collectively.”

No. 1 and No. 3 seeds Christy Lau ’25 and Meghna Sreedhar ’25 played four singles’ games each. Lau swept her opponent in the first game, allowing them only one point on the scoreboard. Since Lau and Sreedhar lost their third games, they played a fourth game to ultimately win gold.

No. 2 seed Elisabeth Ross ’24 had the swiftest match, winning all three games and beating her opponent Maria Paula Moya. 

This weekend was also Mika Bardin’s ’26 and Whitney Taylor’s ’26 debut in collegiate squash, and both first years swept their opponents in three games.

“I think everyone did a really great job of fighting hard,” women’s captain Brianna Jefferson ’23 wrote. “There were a lot of close matches, and we did a good job of staying level headed.”

The men’s team, ranked No. 4 nationally, matched the women’s score of 6–3 against the No. 5 UVA men’s team with some “gritty wins,” according to coach Leong.

No. 4 seed Merritt Wurts ’25 had a hard-fought win as he lost his first two games 9–11 and 4–11 respectively, but rebounded by winning his last three games.

Wurts credited his teammates for support during his match. Teammate Taylor Clayton ’25 reminded Wurts of how he had beaten his opponent, Evan Hajek, many times before and gave him “the confidence [he] needed” to win.

“I think I just knew we were down 2-0 already and I was just like I’m not going to lose this,” Wurts wrote. “Jed Burde ’24 was coaching me since he wasn’t playing due to an injury, and whenever I was doubting myself, I would just look back at him and it fueled me to keep going.

No. 3 seed Brian Leonard ’25 also lost his first game 7–11, but won the last three. Rookie Tad Carney ’26 played his first collegiate match this weekend and swept his opponent in three games.

Coach Leong described these wins as “a testament to the team’s mental strength and physical preparation.”

Their first conference play will be next semester on Jan. 2 against rival Harvard. The Crimson’s men’s team is ranked No. 1 in the nation, while the women’s team is ranked No. 2.

“I honestly really just want to beat Harvard and win the Ivy title,” Wurts said when asked about the team’s goal for the season. 

Yale last won the Ivy League championship in 2016.

The Elis’ next game will be at home against Williams after Thanksgiving break on Dec. 2.

TOIA CONDE RODRIGUES DA CUNHA
Toia Conde Rodrigues da Cunha is the News' Instagram editor. Originally from São Paulo, Brazil, she is studying cognitive science as sophomore. Toia is also a staff reporter for the Sports desk and was a staff photographer.