Yale Athletics

In head coach’s Dalila Eshes’ first game coaching the Bulldogs, the women’s basketball team (0–1, 0–0 Ivy) kicked off their season with a game at Fordham University (1–0, 0–0 Patriot).

The Bulldogs fielded a starting five of one first year, one sophomore and three juniors while the Rams started a group of two seniors and three graduate students players. Fordham displayed their experience as they fended off the Bulldogs and won 80–67.

“As a team at times we really saw our potential on the floor and now [it’s] a matter of putting all of our pieces together for a complete game.” said Avery Lee ’25. “[It’s] definitely exciting to see and work towards.”

In the first quarter, the teams exchanged scoring streaks. Fordham put together an eight-point run which brought the score to 14-6. Then, Lee scored two buckets to help Yale respond with an eight-point run of their own. Fordham ended the first quarter with a 10 point run and led the period 21–14. 

Yale trailed by about 10 points throughout the second quarter. The Bulldogs found themselves down by 12 points with three minutes left in the game, but Elles van der Maas ’24 scored two consecutive three pointers to cut the deficit down to six. Fordham then grew their lead to finish the first half leading the Bulldogs 39–28.

Going into the second half, van der Maas led the Bulldogs in scoring with eight points. Yale also found scoring contributions from their bench, where Mackenzie Egger ’25, Lee and Nyla Mcgill ’25 combined for fourteen points.

“There were [glimpses] where our transition play and our offense in the half court looked good so we know we can build on that with our execution and consistency,” said Lee.

Fordham started the third quarter strong. Rams’ guard Asiah Dingle made three jumpers in a row to help Fordham hold Yale at bay and bring the score to 58–43 by the end of the period.

Fordham pulled ahead by 19 points at the beginning of the fourth quarter, but Yale rallied their defense. The Elis put together a 22–12 run driven by eight points from Jenna Clark ’24 with three minutes left. Fordham held on, however, and won the game with a final score of 80–67.

Van der Maas finished the contest with 15 points and seven rebounds. Egger, who came off the bench, also pitched in 15 points and seven rebounds. Clark had 10 assists.

“We need to focus more on our details and playing tougher.” Clark wrote. “We know what we’re capable of and we didn’t show that Monday night, so [we’re] looking to turn it around Friday.”

Yale will search for their next victory when they play against Fairfield University (1–0, 1–0 MAAC) Friday, Nov. 11 at 7:00 PM in the John J. Lee Amphitheater in Payne Whitney Gymnasium.

HENRY FRECH
Henry Frech is a junior in Jonathan Edwards College majoring in history and hailing from Salt Lake City, Utah. He covers volleyball and women's basketball for the YDN. This semester, he is studying abroad in Mérida, Mexico.