muscosportsphotos.com

Yale’s field hockey team (6–4, 1–1 Ivy) kicked off their second Ivy league game against Princeton (7–4, 2–0 Ivy) on Friday, followed by a game against Quinnipiac University (4–7, 0–3 Big East) on Sunday. Both games were hosted at Yale’s Johnson Field. 

Friday’s game against Princeton was a tough one for the Bulldogs, with the home team taking a loss. The Tigers scored four goals against the Blue and White before midfielder Théodora Dillman ’23 was able to score the first goal for the Bulldogs. 

“The last few Sundays have been hard for us and we have been struggling to get a result,” Poppy Beales ’26 said. “But the team was so determined to get the win [on Sunday] and that showed right until the final play of the game.”

The Tigers had 18 shots with 13 on net against goalkeeper Luanna Summer ’24, who performed well with seven saves. Nevertheless, the Tigers scored one in the first quarter, two in the second, one in the third and two in the fourth. 

On Sunday the Bulldogs had greater success, winning against the Quinnipiac Bobcats in overtime. 

Ten minutes in, the Bobcats scored the first goal of the game off of a penalty corner. Beales was able to tie up the game for the Bulldogs. This was Beales’ third goal of her first season playing for the Blue and White. 

“Our team learned the importance of putting together a complete 60+ minute game [and that] details off ball really drive our success and position us to either win or lose games,” Melissa Gonzalez, Yale’s coach, wrote to the News.

Both the Bulldogs and the Bobcats fought hard during the rest of regulation play. Quinnipiac had nine shots, five on net. The Bulldogs out-shot the Bobcats with 13 shots, seven of which were on net. 

Seven minutes into overtime midfielder Dillman scored to win the game with an assist by Ellie Barlow ’25. Dillman’s goal was number six for her senior season. This was the second weekend in a row the Bulldogs fought in overtime. 

Looking ahead, the Bulldogs will travel to Harvard to continue their Ivy League play on Friday.

“A big point of emphasis is going to be outcomes — we need to continue to be competitive with each other day to day in practice both from attacking and defensive perspectives,” Goalie Alexa Pitts ’25 said. “Harvard isn’t going to give us an easy game, but we’re going to stay focused on our goals and walk the walk — not just talk about it.”

The Bulldogs will host the University of Massachusetts, Amherst on Sunday during family weekend at Johnson Field. 

BETSY GOOD
Betsy Good is an editor for the sports desk. As a staff writer, she covered the women's field hockey, men's and women's squash and men's baseball teams for the sports desk. She is a junior in Pierson College from Cincinnati, Ohio, majoring in History.