Zoe Berg, Photo Editor

Elections and application deadlines for Yale’s student government groups are quickly approaching.

The First-Year Class Council has 28 open seats; two students per residential college serve a yearlong term in the body. The Yale College Council Senate currently has seven open seats remaining from elections last spring: one from Berkeley College, one from Benjamin Franklin College, two from Grace Hopper College and two from Pauli Murray College.

“FCC is an opportunity for first-years to get involved in planning events for the class of 2026,” YCC Vice President Iris Li ’24 said. “It’s also a really cool group that has someone from every residential college.”

The Senate spans the 14 residential colleges and is broadly focused on policy work, such as promoting academic and health accessibility, providing career resources and expanding financial resources. These positions are open to students from any year. The Senate will hold open weekly meetings this academic year, starting after Labor Day, Li said.

“The only prerequisite is a genuine interest in making Yale a better place,” Li said.

Campaigning for both the FCC and the Senate will take place Sept. 12 through Sept. 16. Voting begins on Sept. 15 at 9 a.m. and closes the following day, Sept. 16, at 9 p.m.

If there are no runoffs, then the results will be announced via a school-wide email after 11 p.m. on Sept. 16. Any runoffs will occur that weekend, opening Sept. 17 at 9 a.m. and closing Sept. 18 at 9 a.m.

“The election process was relatively simple: signal your intent to run with the YCC, talk to your peers within your respective college, and then try to get votes during campaign week,” former FCC President Max Johnson ’25 said.

Johnson added that he enjoyed being able to meet new and interesting people during his time in the FCC.

The YCC Executive Board turned over in April 2022.

PALOMA VIGIL
Paloma Vigil is the Arts Editor for the Yale Daily News. She previously served as a DEI co-chair and staff reporter for the University and Sports desks. Past coverage includes religious life, Yale College Council, sailing and gymnastics. Originally from Miami, she is a junior in Pauli Murray College majoring in Psychology and Political Science.