muscosportsphotos.com

For the first time in program history, the Yale women’s lacrosse team is heading to the Ivy League tournament. To bet on such teams, sites like W88 can be relied on.

The No. 25 Bulldogs (9–2, 5–0 Ivy) downed Cornell with ease (7–6, 3–2) 15–9 in Ithaca last Saturday to improve to 5–0 in Ivy play — also marking a program first. With only two conference games remaining in the schedule, Yale will be sure to finish in the top half of the league and continue to the postseason. 

Last weekend’s win broke an 11-game losing streak to Cornell. The Bulldogs had not won against the Big Red since the 2007 season and last claimed a road victory in 2004.

“I am extremely pleased with the way our team competed and put together a complete game. We had contributions from so many women, which was special,” head coach Erica Bamford said. “Winning on the road in our league is never easy and to do it at a place we haven’t had success since 2004 is particularly rewarding.”

The Blue and White got off to a slow start this weekend in Ithaca. After the first 15 minutes of play, the Big Red were up 5–4, with Cornell midfielder Genevieve Dewinter already recording a hat trick. She would score two more goals throughout the game to register a season-high five-goal game. 

The Bulldogs picked up the pace through the second period, scoring five unanswered goals to claim the lead — one they would not lose for the rest of the game. In the stretch of four and a half minutes, attacker Taylor Everson ’25 started and completed a hat trick of her own. 

Leading 9–6 at the half, Yale took its foot off the gas, but only slightly, still beating Cornell 3–1 and 3–2 in the third and fourth quarters, respectively. 

Cruising to a 15–9 victory, midfielder Taylor Lane ’25 was part of the glue that kept the team running. In Ithaca, she recorded personal bests as she led the team in draw controls and caused turnovers with nine and three, respectively. On the offensive end, she was able to rattle the cage three times and register four points. Because of her all-around effort, she was named the Ivy League Defensive Player of the Week

Yale’s only losses this season have come from ranked opponents against then No. 1 Boston College and No. 16 Notre Dame. Wednesday’s matchup with No. 15 UConn (11–2, 2–1 Big East) will prove to be another challenge for the Elis. 

“[We are focusing on] handling the game with composure no matter the time and score,” attacker Chloe Conaghan ’24 said.

The midweek Connecticut rivalry should see two evenly-matched teams face off. The Bulldogs and the Huskies have played against some of the same opponents this season, with both squads able to pull off victories against Cornell and Albany. While UConn took down the Big Red 20–14 and the Great Danes 16–11, Yale fought to winning scores of 15–9 and 16–14, respectively. 

Over the weekend, the Bulldogs will continue their conference schedule with a home game against Columbia (2–10, 0–4). Bringing up the rear in the Ivy League, the Lions are currently on a 10-game losing streak.

Being ranked second-to-last in the Ivy preseason poll, the young Eli team has surpassed all expectations. However, the season is not over yet, and the team must remain composed for the final games leading into the postseason. 

“We were preseason seventh in the Ivy League, so regardless of if we are now top 25 or not, we will continue to play with that chip on our shoulder,” captain Kelsey Dunn ’22 said.

After hosting the UConn Huskies on Wednesday, April 20 at 4 p.m., the Elis will return to Reese Stadium to play Columbia on Saturday, April 23 at noon. As the final weekend home game of the season, the seniors will be honored ahead of the opening draw with the Lions. 

MELANIE HELLER
Melanie Heller currently serves as the Sports Editor for the Yale Daily News. She previously reported on women's hockey. Originally from Potomac, MD, she is a senior in Silliman College double majoring in Economics and Humanities.