Yale Athletics

Over spring break, Yale softball competed in its first official conference action since 2019. Prior to the team’s opening series against Harvard, only three players on the roster had any Ivy League softball experience. The Bulldogs went 3–3 over their first two series, winning the series at Dartmouth, but dropping the home series to Harvard.

Yale (5–13, 3–3 Ivy) played eight games over a busy spring vacation. The Bulldogs hosted Harvard (9–13, 3–3) and Central Connecticut State University (3–23, 1–5 NEC) before traveling to Dartmouth (4–18, 1–2).

“We waited a long time for this day, it was hard to believe it when we were actually on the field again,” head coach Jen Goodwin said of their season opening tournament earlier this season. “There were definitely some nerves, but it was mostly excitement when all was said and done.”

On the Friday before students began spring break, the Bulldogs hosted the Crimson for a conference-opening doubleheader. The Crimson entered the year third in the Ancient Eight pre-season poll, but received the most first place votes of any team. The two games were close, but Yale ultimately dropped both by a combined three runs. Game one featured a pitching duel between Maddie Latta ’25 and Harvard sophomore Anna Reed. Latta pitched a complete game, only allowing two hits and one earned run. An error in the third inning helped Harvard add two additional unearned runs. Yale ultimately outhit the Crimson 5–2, but fell 3–1. Game two followed a similar script, but this time, Nicole Conway ’23 pitched a complete game, allowing seven hits and one unearned run in the seventh. The Bulldogs could only muster two hits and lost 1–0. 

The Bulldogs responded well in the third contest, winning 4–3 and recording seven hits. Yale scored four runs in the first four innings with RBIs coming from catcher Sam Goodcase ’24, second baseman Carmen Muscolina ’24, third baseman Lauren Perren ’25 and designated player Miranda Papes ’22. Latta started the game and pitched into the sixth inning when Conway came on in relief. Latta recorded seven strikeouts and retired 11 consecutive batters before allowing three runs towards the end of her start. Conway was tremendous, retiring all four batters she faced and recording two strikeouts. The Bulldogs made two highlight reel plays as well. In the fourth, Perren made a catch while falling into the dugout. Two innings later, right fielder Alex Perren ’25 made a diving catch to save a hit.

“Our team got a lot out of it and I think they were getting better every day,” Goodcase said. “We are in stride for success for a successful Ivy League season. I’m impressed with how this young team is performing at such a high level so early on and I’m excited to see what’s to come.”

The Elis struggled against Central Connecticut State, however, losing the first game 6–1. Latta homered in the sixth, her second of the year at the time. The second contest went to extra innings with Papes pitching all eight. The Blue Devils mounted a furious comeback, scoring three runs in the final three innings to tie the game and then adding four in the eighth to win the game 10–6. Shortstop Carolyn Skotz ’24 led the way for the Elis with three RBIs. Goodcase added three hits, an RBI and a run. 

Yale fared better at Dartmouth than their opening series against Harvard. Conway and Latta split pitching duties in game one with the latter starting the game and going five innings. The story of the game was the offense, though, as the two teams combined for 16 hits and 15 runs. Yale took a 4–1 lead in the third but the Big Green responded with three runs of their own in the bottom half of the frame. In the sixth, the Bulldogs took the lead again, scoring four runs on three home runs: Latta, Muscolina and Grayson Vives ’25 all went deep. Dartmouth added three of their own in the bottom of the sixth but never tied the game and the Elis went on to win 8–7. 

“As the season progresses, I am going to keep working hard on both sides of my game,” Latta said. “They deserve a substantial amount of focus, and I value them both equally. I look to get a little bit better each time I go out on the field.”

Yale controlled game two the entire way through, taking the lead in the first and never trailing in the contest. Conway pitched a complete game, only allowing four hits. The ball continued to fly out of the yard for the Elis — Vives, center fielder Katie Donahey ’25 and Latta all went yard en route to a 6–2 victory.

The Bulldogs dropped the last game of the series 10–3. Conway and Latta gave up five runs each as Yale got outhit in the contest. Latta homered for the fourth consecutive game, bringing her season total up to five. Donahey also homered again, her second of the series and third of the year.

Latta earned Ivy League rookie of the week honors for her performance. 

“When we are ‘on’ as a team, there is nothing quite like it,” Latta said. “It is the best feeling in the world as a player, and I have felt it a few times since we have started Ivy play. If we can figure out how to make this happen more consistently, we will be in really good shape.”

Yale is tied for third place in the conference after its first two series.

NADER GRANMAYEH
Nader Granmayeh '23 is a former staff writer who covered football and softball for the Yale Daily News.