Regina Sung

Hi Mag Fam,

How are you all? Here at Mag, things are going well. This semester has seen an increase in our editorial board, a shift in our managing editor role, the introduction of Magazine weekly endnotes and dare we say that this has been our smoothest issue from start to finish yet. This issue — one that centers writers of color and topics that concern minority perspectives — is also one of the most special to us as women of color ourselves.  

The question of representation at a publication as established as the Yale Daily News is always thorny — for more of Marie’s thoughts on this, you can listen to a Yale Daily News Podcast special featuring four Black editors at the News — but we hope this issue contributes to the necessary work to expand the fields of journalism and writing more generally to students of color. In our cover story, “Finding Home,” Suraj Singareddy beautifully explores what it means to find community on Yale’s campus as a queer student of color. Awuor Onguru’s essay, “What’s so Black about Black TV?” considers the American Black sitcom tradition spanning from “Amos ‘n’ Andy” to “Insecure.” This issue also features two profiles on Yale alumni of color making waves in the creative realm — basketball player and popular content creator, Trey Phills ’19, and prolific playwright, Lauren Yee ’07. 

As always, we would like to thank our wonderful staff writers, editorial board, Production and Design, Photos and Illustrations. This issue was truly a labor of love as we produced for the first time a multi-writer Insight — see page four “Welcome to the Metaverse” — and our take on The New York Times’ Tiny Love Stories — see page 32 “Mini Love Letters.” We’d also like to thank Photo Editor Regina Sung who absolutely wowed us with her cover collage. Cheers for completing one fourth of the spring term! 

Best,

Claire Lee and Marie Sanford

AKA Marie Claire : )

MARIE SANFORD
Marie Sanford serves as Co-Editor in Chief of Yale Daily News Magazine. Originally from Atlanta, Georgia she is a junior in Saybrook College majoring in English. She has previously served as Associate Editor of Magazine.
CLAIRE LEE
Claire Lee serves as Co-Editor in Chief of Yale Daily News Magazine. Originally from San Diego, California, she is a senior in Pauli Murray College majoring in English and Economics. She has previously served as Managing Editor and Associate Editor of Magazine.