muscosportsphotos.com

In its three games leading up to Thanksgiving, the Yale’s women’s hockey team took on three formidable opponents on the road. The Bulldogs continued their seven-game undefeated streak, tying St. Lawrence 4–4 and beating Clarkson 4–2 and Long Island University 2–1. 

Yale (8–2–1, 5–2–1 ECAC) entered the weekend ranked ninth nationally. With a regulation win against No. 7 Clarkson (12–2–2, 5–1–0 ECAC), an overtime stalemate against St. Lawrence (7–6–4, 3–2–1 ECAC) and the team’s Tuesday overtime win against LIU (8–7–0, 8–0–0 NEWHA), the Elis secured a No. 6 ranking ahead of the Nutmeg Classic. 

“We are still learning how to be a top-10 team in the country, and in the past few weekends we have really focused on and improved at preparing for games with confidence,” Emma Seitz ’23 said. “We believe that when we play our game and use our team speed and skill on the forecheck and on transitions we can beat any team in the country.”

The Bulldogs started off the game against St. Lawrence from behind after the Saints scored in the first 23 seconds of the game. The Elis responded in the middle of the frame when Anna Bargman ’25 scored her third goal of the season.

The Bulldogs were charged with a penalty 15 minutes into the game for having too many players on the ice. Just 24 seconds into the penalty kill, Claire Dalton ’23 capitalized on an opportunity for a shorthanded goal off of a pass from Charlotte Welch ’23. 

With two minutes left in the first period, Yale’s Tijana Miskovic ’25 was sent to the penalty box for checking. St. Lawrence forward Nara Elia tied up the game 2–2 with a power-play goal. Saints forward Aly McLeod then knocked the puck in to secure a lead heading into the first intermission. 

After an eventful first period, Seitz evened the score early in the second with help from Welch and Tess Dettling ’22. Six minutes later, the Saints took back their lead with another power-play goal after captain Greta Skarzynski ’22 received a cross checking penalty.

“Another great team effort today and a big bounce-back game for our group, especially Gianna [Meloni ’22], who was rock solid,” Yale head coach Mark Bolding told Yale Athletics. “Then everybody got involved and we managed the game well against a very strong team.”

Rebecca Vanstone ’23 scored the game-tying goal late in the second period off of an assist by Elle Hartje ’24. 

After a scoreless third period and overtime, the game resulted in a 4–4 tie despite Yale outshooting St. Lawrence 32–15. 

“Yale is as skilled a team we have played all year,” Saints head coach Chris Wells told St. Lawrence Athletics. “They are quick in transition and find the open players consistently on line rushes.”

The Bulldogs continued to dominate the next day in their 4–2 victory against Clarkson. Dalton opened up the scoring with a power-play goal. Hartje and Seitz both assisted the goal. 

Three minutes later, Seitz scored on another power play after Hartje won the faceoff.

Clarkson scored their first of the game in the middle of the second period. The Golden Knights — the Elis’ third nationally-ranked opponent in five games — won the period and left Yale scoreless in the second. 

After the first 10 minutes of the third proved scoreless, Seitz broke through with the game-winning goal, her second tally of the night. 

Within a minute of the Golden Knights pulling their goalie at the end of the third, Bargman scored an empty net goal for the Bulldogs. Clarkson responded by scoring their second goal 17 seconds later. After 60 minutes, Clarkson outshot Yale 30–23, with Meloni saving 28 shots.

On Tuesday, Yale faced off against Long Island University in a game that proved competitive. Dettling scored in the first period with the Sharks scoring in the second. After a scoreless third period, the game went into overtime. Taking a pass from Hartje, Seitz wasted no time and took a glove-side wrist shot from the slot, ending the period and the game for her second game winner in a row. 

“I give their goalie a ton of credit for the way that she played,” Seitz said of Sharks’ goalie Tindra Holm, who also plays for the Swedish national team. “But, we stuck to our game plan, worked hard and were able to get the win in OT.” 

Both Hartje (0–6–6) and Seitz (4–2–6) mustered up a total of six points across the week’s three games. 

Seitz was named ECAC Player of the Week for the second consecutive week for her outstanding play in the last three games.

“It’s always nice to get individual accolades, but hockey is 100 percent a team sport,” Seitz told the News. “Our team is so fun to be on and because of that it’s been easier than ever for me to play my game and contribute offensively when I can.”

The Yale women’s hockey team has outscored its opponents this season 48–16. Out of the 48 goals this season, five have been shorthanded goals and 12 have been power play goals. The Bulldogs power play has not allowed any goals against this season.

Note: After going 1–1 at the Nutmeg Classic this weekend, the Bulldogs are now ranked No. 7 in the latest USCHO poll.

ROSA BRACERAS
Rosa Braceras covers Women’s Ice Hockey, Softball, and other sports news. She is a senior in Benjamin Franklin College majoring in History.