Wikimedia Commons

Former Yale Bulldog Alex Lyon ’17 made his debut for the Carolina Hurricanes of the National Hockey League on Saturday in a 3–2 win over the St. Louis Blues. Lyon made 27 saves for the Hurricanes.

Lyon had previously started 22 games for the Philadelphia Flyers from 2017 to 2021 before signing with the Hurricanes this past summer. For much of his time since leaving Yale after his junior season Lyon has been in the AHL, but isn’t giving up on the chance to establish himself at the highest level of the sport.

“Coming up to the NHL is something I’ve battled for a long time, just trying to find my way,” Lyon said to the Raleigh News & Observer. “I think I’m good enough to play up here.”

Lyon was a standout at Yale, holding program records with a 1.88 career goals against average, .931 save percentage, 50 wins and 15 shutouts. 

Lyon was first called up on Nov. 8 following a concussion suffered by the Hurricanes second-string goalie Antti Raanta. Lyon then got the chance to start as Hurricanes head coach Rod Brind’Amour looked to give starting goalie Frederik Andersen a rest.

“He was huge,” Brind’Amour said to the media after the game. “He made a lot of big saves, especially on the kill there. There were a couple opportunities they had. It was just big. Especially for him. We’re not sure what we’re getting. He hasn’t played yet for us. It’s a lot going on for him, so it was great to see him perform like that.” 

Lyon impressed in the win, but unfortunately with the return of Raanta from injury he has been sent back down to the Chicago Wolves of the AHL. In the AHL Lyon has appeared in four games with a 2.01 goals against average and 0.912 save percentage. 

Despite being sent down, Lyon made a strong impression on regulars of the NHL squad. 

“He gave us a chance to win the game and that’s all you can ask from a goalie,” said Hurricanes star forward Sebastian Aho to the media following the game. “Happy for the guy. You want to work hard for a guy like that. He’s always in a good mood and a positive guy. Good for him.”

Lyon is the only goalie in ECAC history to win the Ken Dryden Award twice as the best goalie in the league.

SPENCER KING
Spencer King is an Editor for the Sports desk. He has covered the Yale football and women's ice hockey teams. He has also previously covered the Yale men's lacrosse team and most things Bulldogs sports. Spencer is a junior in Davenport College and is majoring in Political Science.