Ryan Chiao, Senior Photographer

A week after being struck in a hit-and-run at the intersection of Grove and College Streets, 79-year-old New Havener Stephen Rediker died from his injuries.  

Rediker was riding his bike southbound past the intersection of College and Grove Street in front of the Schwarzman Center. According to witnesses at the scene, the driver turned left from Grove on College before striking Rediker and fleeing down Wall Street just before 6 p.m. on Sunday, Nov. 7. Rediker was in critical condition at Yale New Haven Hospital. 

“The victim suffered serious physical injury resulting from the collision,” New Haven Police Chief Renee Dominguez said in a press conference last week addressing the incident.

The New Haven Independent reported the driver that hit Rediker was driving a black Ford F-150 two-door pickup. 

In the press conference last week at NHPD headquarters, NHPD Captain Rose Dell said they were still reviewing video and surveillance footage from Yale Security. Dell said they were able to take photos of the vehicle.  

Rediker was a resident at The Towers assisted living facility in New Haven. In an interview with FOX 61 last week after the incident, President and CEO of The Towers at Tower Lane Gustave Keach-Longo said Rediker had been in the building for a few years and recently won an election to serve as a resident advisor in The Towers. 

Keach-Longo said Rediker rode his bike often. “Every time you saw him, he was so full of energy,” he said in the interview. 

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

SOPHIE SONNENFELD
Sophie Sonnenfeld is Managing Editor of the Yale Daily News. She previously served as City Editor and covered cops and courts as a beat reporter. She is a junior in Branford College double majoring in political science and anthropology.