Courtesy of Yale Athletics

After falling 6–2 to Princeton (2–1–0, 2–0–0 ECAC) last Saturday, Yale (0–3–0, 0–3–0) is ready for its first non-conference matchups against Army (2–5–1, 1–2–1–1 AHA) in an away game at Tate Rink at West Point this Friday night at 7 p.m. and against Sacred Heart University (3–4–3, 1–1–2 AHA) in an exhibition game at 7 p.m. on Saturday.

Forward Niklas Allain ’24 scored two goals — the first of his collegiate career — last weekend against Princeton in the second and third periods. Princeton still managed to skate away with a win, but the Bulldogs outshot the Tigers 30–25 on the night. Allain added Yale’s first tally when forward Reilly Connors ’24 shot on goal, which was rebounded and flicked over the goalie’s shoulder by Allain. 

“The score wasn’t indicative of the game, and we did some really good things out there,” head coach Keith Allain ’80 said to Yale Athletics. “We didn’t do enough good things for 60 minutes, and we did too many things that shot ourselves in the foot.”

This year, the Elis have not yet picked up a win, opening the season with a 2–0 loss to Brown on Oct. 30 before falling 3–0 to No. 6 Quinnipiac on Nov. 5. 

Since their first meeting in the 1941-42 season, the Bulldogs have a 41–17–1 record over the Black Knights. The last matchup between Yale and Army took place in 2000, where the Elis tallied a 5–1 win at Ingalls Rink.  

In their most recent game, West Point defeated Princeton 4–1 on Oct. 30 for its second win of the season. Three minutes into the game, forward Daniel Haider scored from center ice, and 13 minutes later, forward Brett Abdelnour scored off a series of tape-to-tape passes from forward John Keranen and defender Anthony Firriolo. Forwards Eric Butte and Mitch Machlitt scored the next two goals, and Army outshot the Tigers 33–32. 

“Well, obviously happy with the results of tonight’s game,” Army head coach Brian Riley said. “It’s a good game to end on.”

The Bulldogs will then switch focus to Saturday’s exhibition game against Sacred Heart.

Yale last played Sacred Heart on Jan. 25, 2020, when Yale lost 6–2.  Though the Elis lost their most recent matchup, Yale leads the rivalry 6–2, with their longest winning streak against the Pioneers lasting four games from 2013 to 2019. 

Yale’s 2020 loss denied them from making it to the inaugural CT Ice Tournament final, and Sacred Heart went on to become the first CT Ice Tournament champion. In the game, the Pioneers tallied four goals in the first 15 minutes, and the Elis were unable to shake off the harsh start. 

“We aren’t happy with the results so far, but it is early and we aim to improve with each day,” defender Michael Young ’23 said. “There have been positives such as an overall great team work ethic and team chemistry.”

Sacred Heart is coming off two 3–3 overtime games at Mercyhurst and an Oct. 29 and Oct. 30 loss and win against Niagara University. In their most recent game, the Pioneers won the 11-round shootout over Mercyhurst the second day in a row. The Bulldogs look forward to tallying their first win and look to use their next pair of games as an opportunity for a fresh start. 

“We are looking to build on [our team’s] positives while adjusting to aspects that have been less successful,” Young said. 

The puck drops at 7:05 p.m. on Friday at Tate Rink.

AMELIA LOWER
Amelia Lower covers football, men's ice hockey and men's lacrosse. She is a senior in Jonathan Edwards College from Rye, New York, double-majoring in Spanish and the History of Science, Medicine and Public Health.