Luke Tillitski, Contributing Photographer

At 5:55 p.m., a cyclist at the intersection of Grove and College Streets was hit by a truck, and the driver immediately fled the scene. New Haven Police Department Sergeant David Guliuzza told the News that the victim is in critical condition and that “he is going to live.”

According to witnesses at the scene, the truck was turning left from Grove on College. Witnesses did not see the impact itself, but reported that the driver fled down Wall Street. Blood remained on the street next to the struck bicycle.

“Nobody really saw the accident happen, they just realized the truck was on the bike and a guy in the street,” a police officer told the News.

At least 10 witnesses including several students were at the scene being interviewed by police officers. Police have procured a partial license plate and description of the truck through Yale Security footage. A Yale alert was sent at 6:22 p.m.

The injured cyclist was taken to Yale-New Haven Hospital. Police are working on an injury report. College Street remains closed between Trumbull and Wall Streets. Westbound traffic on Grove Street is being redirected to Hillhouse, according to the Yale alert. 

The New Haven Police Department crash reconstruction team was activated to assess the incident. The crash reconstruction team is a specialized team within the Patrol Division that investigated all crashes that result in fatal or life-threatening injuries in New Haven. 

There has been no update on suspects yet. The NHPD does not yet know whether the victim is a Yale affiliate.

SOPHIE SONNENFELD
Sophie Sonnenfeld is Managing Editor of the Yale Daily News. She previously served as City Editor and covered cops and courts as a beat reporter. She is a junior in Branford College double majoring in political science and anthropology.
ISAAC YU
Isaac Yu was the News' managing editor. He covered transportation and faculty as a reporter and laid out the front page of the weekly print edition. He co-founded the News' Audience desk, which oversees social media and the newsletter. He was a leader of the News' Asian American and low-income affinity groups. Hailing from Garland, Texas, Isaac is a Berkeley College junior majoring in American Studies.