Courtesy of muscosportsphotos.com

After a difficult first half marked by four goals, Yale women’s soccer lost 4–0 against Quinnipiac in their second game of the season.

The Bulldogs (0–2–0, 0–0–0 Ivy) traveled to Quinnipiac’s (2–0–0, 0–0–0 MAAC) Soccer & Lacrosse Stadium in Hamden on Sunday for their first match against the Bobcats in almost seven years. Since 2009, the Bulldogs have won all three of their games in the local rivalry, with the latest having been played in 2014. Over 300 people attended the game, which occurred at noon and was televised on ESPN+.

“Considering we have only been together for 10 days previous to this last weekend, we did some really great things against Buffalo and Quinnipiac,” forward Tina Teik ’25 told the News. “We have a lot to build on as a team and we will find our rhythm soon as we continue to learn and grow together.”

Within the first minute, Bobcat midfielder Selena Salas scored a goal assisted by forwards Rebecca Cooke and Courtney Chocol. Moments later, Teik forced a save from the Bobcat goalkeeper Meaghan Phillips. In the fourth minute, goalkeeper Annie Welch ’25 made the first save for the Blue and White on a top-right shot from Chocol, who scored minutes later in a 10th-minute goal. Two minutes after an 11th-minute save from Welch after a shot by Salas, Cooke scored Quinnipiac’s third goal with an assist from midfielder Markela Bejleri.

Seven fouls occurred between the 13th and 30th minute — three by Quinnipiac and four by Yale — until Emily Loney scored the Bobcats’ fourth goal of the game. By the end of the first half, the Bulldogs had committed 12 fouls to the Bobcats’ three. Also in the first 45 minutes, Yale forced six corner kicks, three more than Quinnipiac, and Welch made three saves to the Bobcats’ two.

“It’s tough to dig out of any hole, let alone three goals in the first 15 minutes of the game. Quinnipiac is an athletic, gritty, well-coached team who I think will win a lot of games this year,” head coach Sarah Martinez told Yale Athletics. “I believe in our group and I know when we start clicking, we will produce some fun soccer to watch.”

The second half did not feature any goals from either team despite more aggressive play from the Bulldogs. While the Elis lagged three shots behind the Bobcats’ eight in the first half, both teams shot seven times in the second half. Welch completed five successful saves in the second to keep a clean sheet in that half, but the Bulldogs were unable to score any in return to the Bobcats four opening strikes.

Despite the Bulldogs’ historic lead coming into the series against Quinnipiac, a number of factors have changed. This year’s team features only nine returning players and 17 players who have not completed a season at the collegiate level due to the COVID-19 pandemic. While Yale hired Martinez as an assistant women’s soccer coach in January 2019, this game marked her second match as the head women’s soccer coach. Yale Athletics promoted Martinez on Dec. 3, 2019.

The Blue and White have four more weeks to prepare until their first Ivy League matchup against Princeton.

We’re really positive going into those games. We know we’re a good team, we play good soccer, we move the ball well, we’re just looking to accomplish all those things,” Welch told the News from the pitch after the team’s Friday 3–2 overtime defeat to University at Buffalo.

The Bulldogs will take on Oregon State at Reese Stadium this Friday at 7 p.m.

Amelia Lower contributed reporting.

HAMERA SHABBIR
Hamera Shabbir covers golf and fencing for the Sports desk and the School of the Environment for the Science and Technology desk. Originally from California's Central Valley, she is a sophomore in Branford College majoring in Environmental Studies.