Dan Renzetti/Yale News

Yale introduced Handsome Dan XIX to the community on March 18. 

The white and brindle Olde English Bulldogge puppy is the face of Yale, at both public and sporting events. You will likely find him on the sidelines of various Yale sporting eve-]

nts, in your residential college courtyard or on a walk around campus with his handler, Kassandra “Kassie” Haro ’18.

Since the nineteenth century, Yale has had a live bulldog mascot with the name Handsome Dan. While each dog is known as Handsome Dan, they each have their own personal names. In casual settings, Handsome Dan XIX is referred to as Kingman. 

Kingman was named after Kingman Brewster Jr. ’41, former Yale president from 1963 to 1977. Haro chose Brewster as the bulldog’s namesake because of the various steps for equality that Brewster took. During his tenure as president of the University, Yale College became a coeducational institution and the University increased the proportion of Jews, African Americans and public high school graduates admitted.

Kingman replaces Walter, Handsome Dan XVIII, after his handler Kevin Discepolo ’09 left Yale Athletics for a new position at BSE Global.

“I’ve had him since he was eight weeks old,” Discepolo said. “[Walter and I are] very attached, so fortunately Yale decided that it would be cruel to separate the two of us.”

Walter and Kingman are the only Olde English Bulldogges to represent Yale; all previous Handsome Dans were English Bulldogs. While the breeds look similar, Bulldogges tend to live longer, healthier lives. Other than sharing a breed, Walter and Kingman share bloodlines. Walter is Kingman’s uncle, as the pup’s mother is one of Walter’s sisters.

While many Yalies were sad to learn that Walter would be stepping down from his position in spring of 2021, they quickly warmed to Kingman.Cq

On May 4, Head of Silliman College Laurie Santos notified the Silliman community that Kingman and his handler would be moving into the college this summer. This fall, Haro will be one of Silliman’s resident fellows, which means she and her pup will contribute to Silliman life as well as provide assistance to the undergraduates. 

Although Kingman will hang his leash in Silliman, he will continue to make appearances in all 14 colleges and around campus. 

“The purpose of moving to campus is to make Handsome Dan a more visible and accessible member of the community,” Haro told the News. “Even though we will be living in Silliman, we fully intend to be active members of the Yale community as a whole.”

What is the best way to find Kingman on campus? Interact with the community! Kingman has been known to make appearances around campus with Yale Police Department service dog Heidi. The dogs can be seen playing in all college courtyards as well as in many public spaces like Old Campus and Cross Campus. In his role as mascot, Kingman can be found courtside, on the touchline, by the pool or in the stands cheering — and barking — for the Blue and White.  

Dan XIX was one of nine puppies in his litter.

MELANIE HELLER
Melanie Heller currently serves as the Sports Editor for the Yale Daily News. She previously reported on women's hockey. Originally from Potomac, MD, she is a senior in Silliman College double majoring in Economics and Humanities.