Daniel Zhao, Senior Photographer

A pedestrian was hit by a vehicle at the intersection of Prospect and Trumbull Streets while crossing Trumbull St. around 7:45 p.m. Tuesday night. The New Haven Police Department identified the pedestrian as a 28-year-old female, who has been taken by ambulance to Yale New Haven Hospital for treatment of non-life-threatening injuries.

Witnesses described a dark-colored vehicle that fled the scene, according to a statement made Wednesday morning by NHPD spokesperson Officer Scott Shumway. NHPD is seeking the public’s help in finding the driver.

At least four NHPD police patrol cars and two bike units responded to the scene. The New Haven Fire Department also responded to the scene. Prospect Street between Grove Street and Sachem Street, and Trumbull Street between Lock Street and Hillhouse Avenue were closed off. The streets have since been cleared. 

As of Wednesday morning, the Yale Police Department has not responded to requests for comment.

The intersection, which lies above the Farmington Canal Greenway, is surrounded by the Malone Engineering Center, Benjamin Franklin College, Grove Street Cemetery and the Yale Institute for Social and Policy Studies, which is currently under construction. Part of the sidewalk along the north side off Trumbull Street between Prospect Street and Hillhouse Avenue is currently closed for construction. 

Police ask that any witnesses contact the NHPD at 203-946-6316. 

This is a breaking news story and will be updated as more information becomes available about the incident. 

Update, April 28, 10:57 a.m.: The story has been updated to reflect additional information from NHPD, including the time of collision and information about the victim.

RAZEL SUANSING
Razel Suansing is a staff reporter and producer for the City, YTV, and Magazine desks. She covers cops and courts, specifically state criminal justice reform efforts, the New Haven Police Department, and the Yale Police Department. Originally from Manila, Philippines, she is a first-year in Davenport College, majoring in Global Affairs.
ISAAC YU
Isaac Yu writes about transportation, traffic safety and urban planning in New Haven. He is also a production and design editor for the News. Hailing from Garland, Texas, he is a Berkeley College sophomore majoring in Urban Studies.