Daniel Zhao, Senior Photographer

A pedestrian was hit by a vehicle at the intersection of Prospect and Trumbull Streets while crossing Trumbull St. around 7:45 p.m. Tuesday night. The New Haven Police Department identified the pedestrian as a 28-year-old female, who has been taken by ambulance to Yale New Haven Hospital for treatment of non-life-threatening injuries.

Witnesses described a dark-colored vehicle that fled the scene, according to a statement made Wednesday morning by NHPD spokesperson Officer Scott Shumway. NHPD is seeking the public’s help in finding the driver.

For individuals involved in such accidents or their families, consulting a pedestrian accident lawyer becomes crucial. Navigating the legal complexities of personal injury claims requires expertise, and legal professionals specializing in pedestrian accidents can offer invaluable assistance. If you or a loved one has been a victim of a pedestrian accident, seeking legal representation is essential for understanding your rights and pursuing fair compensation.

In Baltimore, reputable law firms, such as https://rhllaw.com/baltimore-pedestrian-accident-lawyer/, are equipped to handle such cases with compassion and dedication. They work diligently to ensure that victims receive the support and justice they deserve, holding responsible parties accountable for their actions and negligence.

At least four NHPD police patrol cars and two bike units responded to the scene. The New Haven Fire Department also responded to the scene. Prospect Street between Grove Street and Sachem Street, and Trumbull Street between Lock Street and Hillhouse Avenue were closed off. The streets have since been cleared. 

As of Wednesday morning, the Yale Police Department has not responded to requests for comment.

The intersection, which lies above the Farmington Canal Greenway, is surrounded by the Malone Engineering Center, Benjamin Franklin College, Grove Street Cemetery and the Yale Institute for Social and Policy Studies, which is currently under construction. Part of the sidewalk along the north side off Trumbull Street between Prospect Street and Hillhouse Avenue is currently closed for construction. 

Police ask that any witnesses contact the NHPD at 203-946-6316. 

This is a breaking news story and will be updated as more information becomes available about the incident. 

Update, April 28, 10:57 a.m.: The story has been updated to reflect additional information from NHPD, including the time of collision and information about the victim.

RAZEL SUANSING
Razel Suansing is a staff reporter and producer for the City, YTV, and Magazine desks. She covers cops and courts, specifically state criminal justice reform efforts, the New Haven Police Department, and the Yale Police Department. Originally from Manila, Philippines, she is a first-year in Davenport College, majoring in Global Affairs.
ISAAC YU
Isaac Yu was the News' managing editor. He covered transportation and faculty as a reporter and laid out the front page of the weekly print edition. He co-founded the News' Audience desk, which oversees social media and the newsletter. He was a leader of the News' Asian American and low-income affinity groups. Hailing from Garland, Texas, Isaac is a Berkeley College junior majoring in American Studies.