CELEBRATING BLACK COMMUNITIES
PODCAST | 4 Black Editors

Are there black people in Harry Potter? Where were the black people in Gilmore Girls? Four are currently (or formerly) editors at the Yale Daily […]

Sophie Henry
Memories of May Day: A look back at Black Panther protests at Yale

On May 1, 1970, also known as “May Day,” thousands of protestors from around the country joined Yalies and New Haveners on the New Haven […]

In the shadow of Bouchet: an interview with Ferentz Lafargue

On the tall walls of Saybrook College’s dining hall hangs the portrait of Edward A. Bouchet, class of 1874. The portrait, first displayed to the […]

OLA: Young, gifted and Black: America’s obsession with the Black prodigy

It is so easy to feel empty and directionless in a predominantly white institution without examples of Black excellence in front of me. I used […]

To those who have been kind

I am a lot of things. I am both a daughter and a sister, a roommate, a teammate, a friend, an athlete, a student and […]

Sophie Henry
BIAO: I Hate Black History Month

Hearing that was enough for the whole class to turn their heads towards our sixth grade history teacher. It was such a baffling statement for […]

BROOKS: Classica Delenda Est

“The master’s tools will never dismantle the master’s house. They may allow us temporarily to beat him at his own game, but they will never […]

Reginald Dwayne Betts shares stories from his “writing life”

Reginald Dwayne Betts, legal scholar, writer, and education and prison reform advocate, aims to build 1,000 libraries in prisons across the country. Now, he will […]

Advocacy to actuality: a history of the Afro-American Cultural Center

When organizations and schools nationwide celebrate Black History Month, they recognize the generations of African Americans who built a home for the Black community in […]

HUMPHREY: Give Pennington a degree

Rev. James Pennington, the first Black student at the Yale Divinity School, has not received a posthumous degree. My name is Noah Humphrey. I am […]

Death by 1,000 Cuts: A Requiem for Black and Brown Men

On Feb. 12, Quinnipiac University held a staged reading of “Death by a Thousand Cuts: A Requiem for Black and Brown Men.” The play is […]

four actors onstage