Dear readers,

When the pandemic abruptly sent students back home after spring break, the Yale Daily News halted print production and began an online-only operation to end the school year — reporting remotely from across the world, but still seeking to inform and unite our scattered campus community.

As we begin a new academic year faced with unprecedented challenges and many uncertainties, we maintain the same goals that drove our coverage this past spring and in the 142 years that came before it. Today, we publish our first set of stories for the school year — but rather than our typical daily print edition, we’re publishing an online-only issue. Given the constraints of our community being spread across the world, the economic impact on our organization and public health realities, we have made the decision to print only once a week this semester. This print edition will be released every Friday morning. We will continue to update our website and social media platforms daily and send out a regular email newsletter. 

We hope to resume regular print production once these conditions change. Until then, we will maintain the quality of our coverage, while using the coming months as an opportunity to build a more robust digital presence and experiment with innovative methods of storytelling. 

Thank you to all of our readers. In the present moment, it’s more important than ever for us to stay connected, listen to each other’s stories, and hold our community and leaders accountable. In this time of shared uncertainty, you can count on the News to publish feature, breaking and investigative stories that answer the questions that we’re all asking. 

Sincerely,

Sammy Westfall, Editor in Chief
Serena Cho, Managing Editor
Asha Prihar, Managing Editor

THE YALE DAILY NEWS