Sam Rubin '95

One day after the Ivy League Tournament was cancelled due to concerns surrounding the coronavirus (COVID-19), two Bulldogs were named to All-Ivy rosters. Guard Roxy Barahman ’20 was the only Yale player to be named to the All-Ivy first team. Forward Camilla Emsbo ’22 represented Yale on the second team.

Barahman, a native of Calabasas, California, has now earned postseason awards for three consecutive seasons. Barahman averaged 13.5 points per game in her sophomore campaign, earning her an All-Ivy Honorable Mention. Since then, the Southern California-native has emerged as Yale’s undisputed offensive leader. Last year, she led the Ivy League in scoring with 18.6 points per game, which secured her a spot on the All-Ivy first team. This season, Barahman was no less prolific, as she finished the year with 17.1 points per game.

Barahman placed just behind Princeton forward Bella Alarie and Penn guard Kayla Padilla in aggregate scoring. Alarie, a senior, took home her third consecutive Player of the Year award, while Padilla earned the Rookie of the Year award.

In just her second year as a Bulldog, Emsbo reaffirmed her status as one of the most dominant interior players in the league. After recording 11 points per game as a first year, the Colorado-native jumped to sixth overall in Ivy League scoring this year. She recorded nine double-doubles and 62 blocks, which was good for second most in the Ancient Eight.

Despite their successful seasons, Barahman and Emsbo’s honors stand in the shadow of recent developments in Ivy League sports brought about by COVID-19. Yesterday, the Ivy League announced the cancellation of its postseason basketball tournament. The Bulldogs were scheduled to play Penn as the three seed on Friday. With the tournament called off, the Blue and White will not get a chance to vye for a spot in the NCAA’s most prestigious basketball tournament; instead, its season is over.

No. 22 Princeton, which went undefeated in conference play, will represent the Ancient Eight in March Madness.

Drew Beckmen | drew.beckmen@yale.edu

DREW BECKMEN