Madelyn Kumar

Yale Police arrested three individuals last month in connection with anti-Semitic graffiti sprayed on the steps of the side entrance to the Yale Law School between the Jewish High Holy Days of Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur last October.

According to the YPD, a fourth arrest is still pending. The arrested individuals were charged with multiple crimes — including trespassing and committing a hate crime. None of the individuals are members of the Yale community, according to a Dec. 13 Yale News press release.

“We are grateful for the support and concern of so many organizations — the YLS administration and Yale Police Department foremost among them — in confronting this ugly incident,” wrote Jewish chaplain at Yale, Rabbi Jason Rubenstein in an email to the News. “Knowing that a broad and powerful coalition of partners sees anti-Semitic incidents as unacceptable outrages that threaten not only Jews but the fabric of Yale and America, is one of the greatest sources of strength and solace to our community.”

The graffiti appeared on Oct. 6 and depicted a white, spray-painted swastika above the word “Trump.” Shortly after it appeared, the graffiti was covered with black paint and a doormat. Since then, it has been removed entirely.

Police also said that the individuals did not appear to be a part of an organized group. According to the Dec. 13 press release, the police also believe that the individuals did not intentionally target the Law School — instead vandalizing without specific aim.

“Yale condemns racism and bigotry,” University President Peter Salovey said in the press release. “When confronted with acts of hate and exclusion, we must respond by affirming our commitment to fostering a diverse and inclusive community and to creating and sharing knowledge with individuals from all walks of life. Members of our community, on campus and around the globe, are seeking truth and solutions to the difficult and complex challenges gripping our society. Together we are leading meaningful work to build a better world.”

Yale Law School Dean Heather Gerken wrote in an email to the Law School community on Dec. 13 that the school “took this incident very seriously.” She added her “sincere appreciation” toward YPD Chief Ronnell Higgens and his team for “their extraordinary work and for bringing closure to this investigation.”

Rubenstein wrote in an email to the Slifka community in October that the investigation was “relying on video footage from late Saturday night and early Sunday morning” to identify the perpetrators. He also said in October that the YPD found that “no evidence that this incident [was] part of a larger campaign” after visiting “all other likely targets of anti-Semitic activity.”

Yale Law School was established in 1824.

Alayna Lee | alayna.lee@yale.edu

• Higherominous Bosh

YDN 10/08/19: “[‘University Administrators] very much see this as an attack not just on Yale’s Jewish community, but on Yale itself…’ [Rabbi Jason] Rubenstein said’

YDN 10/11/19: “The swastika found on our campus was not painted by itself; underneath was the name ‘Trump.’ [Ed. note: אױ װײ]” “When individuals in our community find themselves in the crosshairs of baseless hatred, the campus must come together to speak with a united voice … [and] reckon with the hatred that occasionally makes itself known.”The News opposes hate, in all its forms.”

YDN 11/11/19 (Jake Kalodner): “… [Yale president Peter] Salovey strongly states that ‘hate is not welcome on our campus.’ And yet, hate has once again reared its ugly head… I cannot help but think that perhaps hate is not so unwelcome after all.”

Hey, YDN: Given the “utterly antithetical” core of this contemptibly heinous hate crime, ya got any budding Bobby Woodwards with the chutzpah to demand YPD release these deplorables’ names so the community can “condemn” and “reckon with” the three individuals” arrested for “baseless hatred” and “anti-Semitism?”

Hmm…? Nah, didn’t think so. BTW: The Freedom of Information Act requires public disclosure of the names and addresses of arrestees; the date, time, and place of the arrest (say, 25 Broadway); and the offense for which each was arrested.

CGS § 1-215: Records designated by CT po-po (e.g., YPD) as arrest reports (e.g., 2019-02586 or, say, 2019-03129) must be disclosed (ex some exemptions that, barring juvie, are gonna be awful tough to twist into applicability). But I’m pretty sure wokeness trumps acts of journalism, at least in my observation re: e.g., YDN.

12:09 p.m. 01/15/20: See you in a few weeks (or months, or never; whatever).