Courtesy of Sam Rubin '95

After a strong start to the indoor season, the Yale track team is looking to further its success in the near future. After a few weeks without competition, both the athletes and coaches are eager to extend their good form from their meet in December.

During the first meet of the season, the Bulldogs defended Coxe Cage, comfortably winning multiple events. Alladia Patterson ’21 was victorious with her 13.17-meter shot put throw, starting the day well for her team. Teammate Emma Vasen ’22 dominated the weight throw, claiming the win with more than a meter to spare. Sprinter Sophie Isom ’22 won the 200-meter dash, setting a new personal best in the process.

“The first meet in December was a great way for our sprinters, jumpers and throwers to open up the season,” Jane Miller ’20 said. “Even though it was super early on, we had a ton of great performances and it’s made everyone even more motivated for the rest of the season.”

The meet in December helped the entire team gain valuable competition experience. As Kayley DeLay ’21 mentioned, the sprinters who trained throughout the fall were finally able to compete wearing Yale colors.

This coming Saturday, Jan. 18, the Bulldogs will travel to Dartmouth to compete for the first time this calendar year. The meet will help the team gauge their overall level and help them better prepare for future meets.

“This upcoming meet at Dartmouth should be more fun than anything else,” DeLay said. “We are all training through these first few meets and trying to get a feel for where we are at. I am excited to finally get back on the track and see all my teammates compete in their respective events.”

This weekend will be a test for the runners and will set the tone for the next few months.

DeLay said that the team does not have high expectations for the day, which appears to be a training day for the team.

Miller added that she hopes that the meet will catapult the team forward, but will be treating the competition as if it were training, focusing on preparing for the rest of the season. Nevertheless, the team is ready to begin again and is serious about quickly establishing themselves in the league.

“We’ll still be bringing a lot of intensity and 100 percent effort,” Miller said.

Columbia will also be competing on Saturday in New Hampshire.

Rehan Melwani | rehan.melwani@yale.edu

REHAN MELWANI