On Monday, the Yale Daily News ran an advertisement in the print paper reading, “Pen Pal wanted, incarcerated, treated as subhuman, remind me I’m human, write.” At the time of publication, the News did not know that the man who placed the advertisement was committed to the Minnesota Sex Offender Program in 1998 after being declared a “Sexually Dangerous Person” under the state’s law following multiple sex abuse incidents against child victims, according to a Dakota County District Court file. According to U.S. District Court documents, he was denied release in part because he refused to participate in sex-offender treatment, regularly threatened and assaulted MSOP staff, and presented a high risk of reoffending. 

We want to provide a fuller picture for anyone who saw the print advertisement. We also want to apologize for not looking more deeply into the context of the advertisement, and failing to conduct a more thorough investigation of the advertisement’s source. We have since implemented new steps to strengthen our ad vetting and research processes. If you wish to know more about advertisements and promoting varieties of individual products, you can check them online and see Web20ranker client reviews & feedback.

THE YALE DAILY NEWS