Aparna Nair-Kanneganti

The transition to college is a difficult one for everyone! Between balancing courses, living in a new city, and being Circe, daughter of Helios and goddess of magic, finding the time to make new friends can seem impossible. But don’t worry! We have the perfect tips for any immortal girl who has left the ancient island of Aeaea to get a college degree.

1. DO join a club! A great way to find new friends is to sign up for an organization that you are interested in joining. There are hundreds of athletic teams, theater groups, volunteering opportunities, and pre-professional clubs on campus. Although there is no group that will allow you to show off your passion for potions, spells and herbs, I hear there is a cool no-audition dance group that meets Tuesdays!

2. DON’T magically transform people into animals! This one is super important. While it is perfectly acceptable to change all of Odysseus’s men into swine back in Aeaea, this is totally not how most college kids resolve conflicts or make friends. Instead, try asking potential friends if they would like to get a meal sometime. No sorcery required!

3. DO ask people questions about themselves! Asking people about their experiences and interests is a good way to build bonds. Feel free to open up about yourself as well! While your ability to tame lions and wolves may seem boring to you, others may find it really unique and impressive.

4. DON’T put too much pressure on yourself! Making friends takes time and will happen naturally.

5. DO go to parties! While college parties may seem loud and overwhelming at first, they can be fun with friends. If you are nervous about talking to strangers, we recommend that you actually bring along your magic staff. Magic staves make great conversation starters and as long as you don’t use them to curse fellow partygoers, you are probably going to be a big hit!

VERONICA BORATYN