Adrian Kulesza

Over the past week, New Haven saw three shooting events, two of which involved minors.

At 12:15 a.m. on Friday, a 17-year-old New Haven male was shot in the shoulder as “he stood outside a social gathering” on Willow Street in East Rock, according to a New Haven Police Department press release. During the incident, a 15-year-old female New Haven resident was also injured by glass fragments. She received medical attention for the injury to her leg and the male teenager was transported to Yale New Haven Hospital with a non-life threatening injury, according to NHPD spokesman Anthony Duff.

Two days later, on Sunday afternoon, a 17-year-old male was shot in the pelvis outside of a residence on the 1400 block of State Street near Rock Street. According to Duff, NHPD received multiple 911 calls. He was transported to Yale-New Haven Hospital with life-threatening injuries and was in critical condition. But by Monday morning, he was listed as stable.

Then, on Wednesday, a ShotSpotter alert and 911 calls reporting gunfire, a car crash and a shooting were all made before 2 p.m. New Haven Police Department officers responded to the alerts at 1:56 p.m. near Division Street and Sheffield Avenue in Newhallville, according to Duff.

The responding NHPD officers found a car crashed into a bus stop shelter on Division Street and a person shot in the shoulder outside a nearby residence. According to Duff, the victim — a 32-year-old New Haven resident — is believed to have been operating the crashed vehicle. The victim was transported by ambulance to Yale New Haven Hospital, Duff wrote in a press release. Duff said that no pedestrians were at the bus stop and no other injuries were reported.

The victim was in critical condition as of 5 p.m. on Wednesday, according to Duff.

Over two hours after the shooting occurred, Yale Police Chief Ronnell Higgins alerted the Yale community of the shooting incident. He wrote that the incident “did not occur on campus.” Higgins added that people should avoid the area — approximately 0.6 miles away from the Yale Divinity School — while police investigate.

Sammy Westfall | sammy.westfall@yale.edu

SAMMY WESTFALL