Eric Wang

The Yale Police Department received a report of a possible drink tampering on Friday evening at the Gryphon’s Pub at GPSCY, according to a Yale Alert sent on by University Police Chief Ronnell Higgins.

“The Yale Police takes seriously any report of tampering with beverages at social events,” Higgins wrote in the Alert.

GPSCY — Graduate and Professional Student Center at Yale — is a social center that operates a student-run bar, Gryphon’s Pub. According to GPSCY’s website, membership is needed for access, and all individuals enrolled as Yale graduate or professional students are automatically members.

GPSCY Director Laura Smith told the News that GPSCY is “cooperating fully” with the Yale Police Department and said that the pub could not comment on any Yale Police Department investigation. Smith referred the News to the Yale Police Department with further questions.

According to the GPSCY’s calendar of events on its website, the pub was “Closed for Private Events” on Friday from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m. on Saturday. However, Smith did not respond  to the News on Sunday evening to confirm that the tampering incident occurred at the private event.

Higgins told the News that the Yale Police Department does not comment on active investigations. He asked anyone with information to call Yale Police or to send in an anonymous tip. University spokesperson Tom Conroy also told the News that Yale had nothing to add to Higgins’ Saturday message.

According to the GPSCY website, the pub has a Friday special of $2 Yuengling beer and karaoke.

This is the second drink tampering incident of school year that Chief Higgins has made the Yale community aware of by Yale Alert. The first incident occurred at an on-campus party at Durfee Hall on Old Campus on Oct. 12. Two first years were taken to Yale New Haven Hospital after becoming intoxicated at the suite party, with one of the students testing positive for the sedative hypnotic drug Rohypnol, more commonly known as “roofies.” The Yale Police Department opened an investigation, but no suspects have been made known to the Yale community.

Higgins said in his Yale Alert that he sent the message in compliance with the requirements of the Federal Clery Act.

Gryphon’s Pub at GPSCY is located at 204 York St.

John Besche | john.besche@yale.edu

Sammy Westfall | sammy.westfall@yale.edu

SAMMY WESTFALL
JOHN BESCHE