The Greater New Haven Chamber of Commerce awarded Kimberly Pedrick, owner of the boutique stores Idiom and Dwell, the Small Business Achievement Award at the 2018 Annual Business Leadership Awards Luncheon last Thursday.

More than 500 people attended the luncheon at the Omni hotel, according to Tameika Miller, GNHCC’s director of marketing strategy and communication. Pedrick was one of 10 award recipients.

“I was very honored to receive the award from the GNHCC,” Pedrick said in an interview with the News. “It was a wonderful recognition, and the event was so well attended, and it’s so nice to be part of a community that supports small businesses.”

Pedrick runs two boutique stores on Chapel Street‚ the locations of which are owned by Yale University Properties. She opened her first store, Idiom — which offers clothing, jewelry and other products — 13 years ago. Her second store, Dwell, which sells items including home decor, textiles and sleepwear, recently celebrated its one-year anniversary on Sept. 1.

The luncheon, which began with welcome remarks by Garrett Sheehan — the president and CEO of GNHCC — also featured a performance by the New Haven Symphony Orchestra and a rendition of the national anthem by the Hamden Hall Country Day School.

“We would like to congratulate this year’s honorees for their dedication, skill, and accomplishments,” Sheehan said in a news release on the website. “The 2018 Business Leadership Awards Luncheon is a testament to the innovative work being done here in the Greater New Haven region.”

According to Miller, awardees were chosen by “members of the business community.” In addition to giving out the Small Business Achievement Award, the GNHCC also recognized Health Haven Hub for its technology innovation, the Tagliatela family for community leadership and the NHR Group for developer investment.

Yale University Properties, which has over 85 retail tenants throughout the city, is a part of Yale’s Office of New Haven and State Affairs.

“On behalf of Yale University Properties, we are delighted that Kimberly Pedrick received the Small Business Achievement Award from the New Haven Chamber of Commerce,” Lauren Zucker, associate vice president for New Haven Affairs and University Properties, said. “Through Yale’s community investment program we are proud to support Kim and other local New Haven businesses, creating jobs, reinvigorating New Haven’s downtown, and expanding the city’s tax base.”

In addition to hosting the annual luncheon, the Greater New Haven Chamber of Commerce also provides local business owners with management advice and consults those trying to start or expand their businesses, according to the GNHCC website.

The Greater New Haven Chamber of Commerce oversees 15 municipalities and was founded in 1794.

Aakshi Chaba | aakshi.chaba@yale.edu

AAKSHI CHABA