In an open letter to Senate Judiciary Committee, 49 Yale law school faculty members on Friday called for a full investigation into the allegation of sexual assault against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh ’87 LAW ’90.

In the open letter, the faculty members wrote that an allegation of sexual assault against someone nominated for a lifetime appointment requires a neutral fact finder and an investigation. The signatories, including former Law School deans Harold Koh and Robert Post, called for “a fair and deliberate confirmation process.”

“With so much at stake for the Supreme Court and the nation, we are concerned about a rush to judgment that threatens both the integrity of the process and the public’s confidence in the Court,” the letter reads. “Some questions are so fundamental to judicial integrity that the Senate cannot rush past them without undermining the public’s confidence in the Court. This is particularly so for an appointment that will yield a deciding vote on women’s rights and myriad other questions of immense consequence in American lives.”

The letter comes two months after the Law School issued a press release in which several top faculty members praised Kavanaugh for his government and judicial service, as well as his opinions and mentorship. As the allegation of sexual assault emerged earlier this month, the faculty members who contributed to that release, including Law School Dean Heather Gerken, remained silent. Only one of the faculty members quoted in the press release, Abbe Gluck, signed Friday’s open letter; Gluck’s remarks appear to have been removed from the release.

Gerken did not sign the open letter. In a statement posted on the law school website, Gerken said she could not support or oppose a nominee.

“It’s a thoughtful statement and I support the efforts of individual faculty members to engage with these important issues,” Gerken wrote.

• Killer Marmot

In other news, 69 members of the Yale law faculty decline to sign a petition calling for a Kavanaugh investigation.

• ShadrachSmith

Atticus Finch, that’s who Kavanaugh needs.

Collins said she preferred to have Kavanaugh and Ford testify on Monday, but had no problem delaying the hearing until Wednesday or Thursday…so do that, because a week means nothing in a lifetime appointment. Showing scorn for a woman accuser might cost the Rs 20 house seats, so don’t do that…that’s the trap. And count on a couple new accusers over the weekend. That’s been planned for months.

Assume Collins is trying to show you the way out of this. Let Ford find time for “60 minutes” and not the Judiciary Committee and the good women of the USA will decide for themselves about Ford’s credibility. Pull the teeth of the feminist tiger, kill her with kindness, then affirm Kavanaugh.

• wonder_woman

Kavanaugh is no Tom Robinson.

• Killer Marmot

In other news, 68 members of the Yale law faculty declined to sign a petition calling for a Kavanaugh investigation.

• crusingourmet

Am I the only one who finds it appalling, that one’s Alma Mater, would go out of its way to wound one of their Cum Laude Graduates? It is disgusting on its face, that a School who’s academicians should understand the legal system, would judge their esteemed graduate “Guilty until proven innocent” ! This historic institution should hang its head in shame for actively besmirching one of their own. What should have happened is the school should have embraced the Constitution they study and cheered for “one of their own” and been proud to have a Yale Alum nominated to the SCOTUS (hopefully seated). Yale seriously needs to ask itself what its priorities are, to support their graduates who work diligently to earn their degrees and rise to the ranks of Federal Judge with exceptional rulings or drag their Alumni through the media slime pit ! I personally find the actions of this Great University to be extremely contemptible and a stain on their reputation for excellence.