A New Haven resident was fatally shot two streets away from the Yale New Haven Hospital’s St. Raphael Campus at 12:21 p.m. last Wednesday, according to the New Haven Police Department.

The victim, 35-year-old Eric Lewis, died after being shot once in the chest. He was rushed in critical condition to the Yale New Haven Hospital by NHPD officers and emergency medical technicians, who responded to an emergency call notifying them of a shooting. The shooting occurred on Chapel Street, between Winthrop Avenue and Norton Street. Lewis died at around 2:25 p.m., according to NHPD spokesman David Hartman.

Detectives from the department’s major crimes division, as well as the identification bureau, investigated the crime scene, according to the NHPD press release. The NHPD is seeking information about the crime and urges potential witnesses to call the detectives investigating the case or the NHPD’s anonymous tip line.

Rachel Nelson MED ’19 and Tyrone Despenza GRD ’21 both said they were not notified of the fatal shooting near the hospital, where they train as a part of medical school.

Jennifer Nolan, who works at the Yale Office of Emergency Management, declined to comment on why the University did not send out a Yale Alert about the fatal shooting.

The NHPD did not respond to questions about whether it notified the Yale Police Department about the shooting.

The St. Raphael Campus is located at 1450 Chapel St.

Christina Carrafiell | christina.carrafiell@yale.edu

CHRISTINA CARRAFIELL