Yale Jackson Institute

Rosemary DiCarlo, a senior fellow at the Jackson Institute for Global Affairs and former U.S. diplomat, was appointed as the under secretary general for political affairs of the United Nations this week. She will become the first woman to hold the position when she takes office next month.

UN Secretary General António Guterres announced DiCarlo’s appointment on March 28, praising her “distinguished career” serving in the UN. DiCarlo will succeed Jeffrey Feltman, who is also from the United States and will complete his term on Saturday.

“I am honored to be appointed to the position,” she told the News. “It will focus a great deal on mediation and conflict prevention. The UN continues to play a critical role in these areas.”

Fluent in French and Russian, DiCarlo has more than 35 years of experience in international relations. After graduating from Brown with a bachelor’s degree in comparative literature, DiCarlo entered the U.S. Department of State. In 2010, then-President Barack Obama appointed DiCarlo as the United States deputy representative to the UN, and in 2013, she became the acting United States representative to the UN following Susan Rice’s appointment as national security advisor.

During her time at the United Nations, DiCarlo represented the United States on both the UN Security Council and in the General Assembly.

DiCarlo is currently a senior fellow at the Jackson Institute, as well as the president of the National Committee on American Foreign Policy, a nonprofit that addresses a wide range of threats to American interests and seeks to educate the public about these issues.

“We are very proud of Ambassador DiCarlo,” said James Levinsohn, the director of the Jackson Institute and a professor of foreign affairs, economics and management. “We are hugely fortunate to have her as a Jackson senior fellow and congratulate her on this important appointment.”

DiCarlo spoke highly of her work at Yale, describing her fellowship at the Jackson Institute as a unique opportunity to help students think critically.

João Vale de Almeida, the European Union’s ambassador to the UN, praised DiCarlo’s appointment in a tweet on Wednesday evening, saying she can count on his full support, as well as the support of the European Union’s delegation to the UN.

Last fall, DiCarlo taught “Multilateral Institutions in the 21st Century,” a class offered to Yale graduate students.

Niki Anderson | niki.anderson@yale.edu

Lorenzo Arvanitis | lorenzo.arvanitis@yale.edu

NIKI ANDERSON
LORENZO ARVANITIS