schirinrangnick

Administrators in the Office of the President and the offices of the dean of Yale College, dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences and dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences will temporarily relocate to accommodate the upcoming construction of the Schwarzman Center.

Yale will begin major construction on the center this summer after a series of utilities projects conclude. Just a day before Yale introduced the inaugural executive director of the Schwarzman Center, the University informed the campus community that administrators will have to relocate closer to Science Hill later this year. While construction transforms Commons into a center of student life, a number of University offices reshuffle to facilitate the relocation of Woodbridge Hall to Sheffield-Sterling-Strathcona Hall, where the offices of the dean of Yale College are currently located.

Administrators in the offices of University President Peter Salovey and Secretary and Vice President for Student Life Kimberly Goff-Crews will be unable to work in Woodbridge Hall due to loud noise from the adjacent Schwarzman Center construction site, according to Vice President for Communications Eileen O’Connor. O’Connor said that administrators may remain in the new office locations until construction concludes in 2020.

“This was the best way to keep people as central as possible, accessible to students and others and accessible to the places that they are familiar with,” O’Connor told the News. “That is the cost of doing business in an organization that also sees the need for improvement.”

During spring break, the offices of Student Engagement and Student Affairs will move to the second floor of 55 Whitney Ave. after renovations to the space are complete. The Yale College dean’s office and several other staff members will move from Sheffield-Sterling-Strathcona Hall to Warner House.

The financial aid staff for the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, meanwhile, will move from the first floor of Warner House, which will undergo renovations, to the second floor of 246 Church St.

Offices associated with the dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences and dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences will remain in Warner House but may have to switch floors to accommodate the reshuffling.

After the Yale College dean’s office leaves SSS, the space will undergo renovations so that Woodbridge Hall administrators can move into the first floor in August. The offices of Salovey and Goff-Crews will move to SSS.

Yale College offices on the garden level of SSS will not relocate.

O’Connor said the last time administrators relocated from Woodbridge Hall was during former University President Richard Levin’s tenure, to accommodate construction on the Beinecke Plaza.

The construction of Woodbridge Hall was completed in 1901.

Hailey Fuchs | hailey.fuchs@yale.edu

HAILEY FUCHS