Christina Carrafiell

A unidentified 28-year-old woman died on Wednesday after falling from the Air Rights Garage on York Street.

A similar event occurred on Oct. 11, when a 22-year-old man fatally fell from an elevated deck of the same parking garage. A New Haven Police Department review of surveillance footage showed the man was alone at the time.

Police do not suspect foul play for either incident. While the reason for Wednesday’s fall is unknown, NHPD spokesman David Hartman said it is unlikely the case has a criminal element.

Officers from the New Haven and Yale police departments, alongside Yale New Haven Hospital Protective Services workers, responded to the fatal fall.

Angie Naranjo, an employee at the Walgreens located across the street from Air Rights Garage, said she called the police at 3:49 p.m. after being instructed to do so by her manager. She said she did not witness the fall herself.

The police shut down a section of North Frontage Road to both vehicle and pedestrian traffic following the incident.The block affected traffic between College and York streets, an NHPD report said. The road was reopened before 6 p.m.

Yale Police Chief Ronnell Higgins sent a public safety advisory to the Yale community on Wednesday afternoon, advising people to avoid the area of the incident.

Christina Carrafiell | christina.carrafiell@yale.edu

Sammy Westfall | sammy.westfall@yale.edu

CHRISTINA CARRAFIELL
SAMMY WESTFALL