Field Hockey:

On Sept. 23, Harvard staged a late comeback at Johnson Field to defeat Yale 2–1. The Bulldogs were 36 seconds away from an important victory, but the Crimson tied the game in the last minute before sealing victory, four minutes into overtime. Yale established an early lead thanks to a first-half goal from First-Team All-Ivy forward Carol Middough ’18. Goalkeeper Sydney Terroso ’21, also First-team All-Ivy this season, was immense in preserving the lead until the final minute, making a whopping 17 saves for the Elis. The Bulldogs finished sixth in the Ancient Eight with a conference record of 2–5, though they finished with a winning record for the first time since 2011. Harvard narrowly missed out on top spot with a record of 6–1.

Men’s Soccer:

The Elis faced the Crimson in their Ivy League opener on Sept. 30. For the vast majority of the game, the Bulldogs seemed in control of the matchup. Yale took the lead at 28:30 thanks to a goal by forward Aldo Quevedo ’21; they continued to dominate possession and recorded more shots heading into the final 10 minutes. But, through two late goals scored in just four minutes, Harvard rallied late to complete the comeback at Reese Stadium. Both Crimson goals came in the final seven minutes. The Elis finished tied for third in the Ivy League with a record of 2–3–2, their highest finish since 2005. Meanwhile, Harvard finished last with a record of 1–4–2, with its lone bright spot coming in New Haven.

Women’s Soccer:

The Bulldogs faced Harvard riding a four-game winless streak, but bounced back emphatically against the Crimson. Yale recorded a dominant, 3–0 win at Reese Stadium for its first victory against Harvard since 2007. The Elis put on an offensive clinic; forward Michelle Alozie ’19 — the eventual Ivy League Co-Offensive Player of the Year — opened the scoring in the 26th minute. Both forward Noelle Higginson ‘20 and defender Christine Oberhausen ‘21, the former of whom was First-Team All-Ivy this season, scored within the last 10 minutes to seal the victory. The Bulldogs finished third in the conference, up three places from last year, with a 4–2–1 record. After winning the title last year, Harvard mustered just a sixth-place finish.

Men’s Cross Country:

The Bulldogs opened their season at home against Harvard, defeating their storied rivals by 13 points. First years proved pivotal to the victory for the Elis, with three placing in the top 10 in the first race of their collegiate careers. Matt Chisholm ’18 finished first at the meet with a winning time of 19:27.2, over five seconds faster than any other participant. At the Ivy League Heptagonal Championships held at Van Cortland Park in New York, Trevor Reinhart ’19 led the way for the Bulldogs, finishing sixth overall with a time of 25:08.6. The Elis collectively placed sixth at the championship meet, while the Crimson slumped to an eighth-place finish.

Women’s Cross Country:

At the Harvard-Yale-Princeton meet held on Sept. 15, the Bulldogs placed a close second behind Princeton but ahead of Harvard at The Course at Yale. Andrea Masterson ’19, who qualified for NCAA Nationals this fall, took first place individually with an impressive winning time of 13:45 in the 4K course. She was equally impressive on Oct. 27 at the Ivy League Heptagonal Championships, finishing runner-up to pave the way for a collective third-place finish for the Elis. The Crimson, on the other hand, finished eighth collectively, down seven spots from their impressive victory last year.

Women’s Crew:

Although Harvard and Radcliffe merged in 1999, the women rowers from Harvard still compete under the Radcliffe name. Yale defeated Radcliffe in both head-to-head races this fall. At the Head of the Housatonic, the Bulldogs rowed to victory with Radcliffe finishing fourth. On Oct. 22 at the Head of the Charles — where Yale won the Championship Eights in 2016 — the two fastests Eli boats both crossed the line ahead of the top Radcliffe boat.

Men’s Lightweight Crew:

The Bulldogs defeated Harvard both times the teams raced this fall. At the Head of the Housatonic, the top Eli boat finished sixth and third among lightweight teams, while the B boat finished ninth. The highest-finishing boat for Harvard followed suit in 10th place. Two weeks later, Yale won the Head of the Charles, finishing 11 places — and over a minute — ahead of Harvard.

Men’s Heavyweight Crew:

Harvard’s heavyweight team did not race at the Yale-hosted Head of the Housatonic in early October, but the reigning national champion Bulldogs got their chance to take on the Crimson at the Head of Charles. In Boston, Yale finished its fall season on a high note, placing third with a time of 13:30.510. The Bulldogs crossed the line a spot above Harvard’s fourth-place finish. However, Harvard’s second boat finished just over a second before Yale’s B boat.

Volleyball:

The Bulldogs faced Harvard twice this season, with each team stealing a victory on the road.  Yale prevailed 3-1 in the Oct. 14 game at Harvard, with outside hitter Kathryn Attar ’21 leading the way with 14 kills and outside hitter Tristin Kott ’20 adding 12 of her own. Although Yale would eventually go on to share the Ivy title with Princeton — its sixth in eight years — the Bulldogs’ hopes for a conference crown took a major hit on on Nov. 3, against the Crimson on their home court. Harvard won a five-set thriller, despite a 19-kill performance from Attar. The Crimson finished third in the conference with a 8–6 record.

Isha Dalal | isha.dalal@yale.edu

A.J. Janahi | a.j.janahi@yale.edu

ISHA DALAL
A.J. JANAHI