In an open letter circulated on Friday, members of the Yale College class of 1985 called upon their classmate, Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin ’85, to resign immediately in protest of President Donald Trump’s comments on a rally in Charlottesville, Virginia last weekend in which far-right hate groups clashed with counter-protesters, resulting in the deaths of two state troopers and one young woman.

The letter, which has more than 290 signatures, addresses Trump’s remarks at a press briefing on Tuesday in which he said there was “blame on both sides” after a white nationalist drove a car into a crowd of counter-protesters, killing one person. The letter asserted that Mnuchin has a moral obligation to stand up to Trump, whom the letter calls a “sympathizer” of white supremacists and neo-nazis.

“We call upon you, as our friend, our classmate, and as a fellow American, to resign in protest of President Trump’s support of Nazism and white supremacy. We know you are better than this, and we are counting on you to do the right thing,” the letter said.

According to The New York Times, Mnuchin, who is Jewish, appeared uncomfortable as he stood next to Trump during a news conference concerning infrastructure at Trump Tower, in which Trump declared that there were “fine people” on both sides of the Charlottesville protests. Much of the language used by the white nationalist protesters directly referenced Jews, in addition to African-Americans. Mnuchin has yet to comment publicly on the president’s remarks.

Mnuchin was confirmed as secretary of the treasury in February after serving as national finance chairman for the Trump campaign. He is charged with implementing the administration’s imminent plans to reform the nation’s tax code, as well as revising financial regulations and renegotiating trade deals. During his time at Yale, he was the publisher of the News.

In the letter, Mnuchin’s Yale classmates emphasized that their request for his resignation was nonpartisan.

“This is not a matter of the debt ceiling, or of the infrastructure project, or anything else,” said Matthew Countryman ’85, who signed the letter, to CNN in an interview Friday. “This is a question of what kind of democracy, what kind of nation will we be, and whose side is [Mnuchin] on?”

Prior to becoming treasury secretary, Mnuchin was a Goldman Sachs executive and Hollywood financier.

• concerned

So Mnuchin is just finding out about Trump? What I want to know is what fellow citizens who have known about Trump all along by virtue of living the the greater New York City region going to do? You know, I wish condemning Mnuchin for his stupidity is anywheres near worth the effort.Thanks Steve.

• DLH

YOU ARE THE STUPID ONE! TRUMP 2020

• concerned

No problem. Just let me know when the “millions of jobs” show up. There are some former Carrier employees who would be interested.

• “M”

This. Even the UK knows. Anyone who claims they didn’t know and voted for him based on that “lack of knowledge” – especially given what has transpired in the interim – falls into the category of willfully sadistic folks like Crystal “he’s not hurting the people he’s supposed to be hurting” Minton or continue to be wilfully ignorant so they don’t have to assume any accountability for having enabled his destructive and potentially treasonous activities thus far.

Everyone who took the initiative to learn knows. Journalists “across the pond” – where they’re having their own Russia-exacerbated problems – not only knew, but provided us, before the 2016 election with 40+ years of his “business” history (unlike the New York Times *cough*) so that anybody who wanted to know could educate themselves, investigate, and make their decisions accordingly. Anyone else turned a wilfully blind eye.

The Real Donald Trump: A Bully, Fraud, & Incompetent Who Has Wrecked Countless Lives

• Boss Tweed

Oy. Just oy.

• DLH

~~~WHO THE HELL ARE YOU<<

TRUMP 2020

• Jenn

Well, I hope Mnuchin watches the President’s entire 14-minute impromptu news conference at Trump Tower. Not the reportage, but the entire 14 minutes unedited, uninterrupted. I just did and I did not find his tone or demeanor “unpresidential” in the least. He sharply and explicitly condemned the Nazis and White Supremacists unequivocally. He also condemned the extreme leftists who premeditatedly came armed with weapons to smash up a demonstration that held a legal permit. (I personally wish that ACLU liberals were not so proactive in advancing the right of Nazis to get permits to rally at public venues, but the demonstration had a permit. Meanwhile, the Antifa Alt-Left thugs came armed, and they came to fight.) All the while, the police did nothing for much too long, reportedly because of unconscionable malfeasance on the part of various Democratic politicians. Chaos and violence ensued.

The media never minded that Barack Obama would not call out leftist rioters and violent leftist organizations by name. They bend over backward to excuse Obama’s decades-long love affair with the hideous Rev Wright. As inner cities would burn, with innocents watching their life savings go aflame as mobs would burn down their inner-city stores in cities from Baltimore to Ferguson, the Obama Administration avoided planting blame or naming hate groups. When a Jihadist murdered Americans serving our nation faithfully at Fort Hood, Obama attributed the murders to “workplace violence.” Obama never could articulate the term “Radical Islamist terrorist,” as though he were Lou Costello fearing what would happen to him if he said “Niagara Falls.” When Rep. Gabrielle Giffords was shot by her own former supporter, a mentally ill clinger who had backed the Democrat, the media blamed the violence on Republicans like Sarah Palin. When Rep. Steve Scalise was shot, and others were wounded, by a Bernie Sanders supporter who had set out to kill Republicans, the media avoided pinning blame on a left ideology and overheated rhetoric of leftist hate. But when the President of the United States rightly excoriated law-breakers and thugs on all sides of a street conflagration, he came in for a torrent of media abuse, forcing even level-headed bystanders to take cover.

Watch the whole 14 minutes. It’s difficult to believe many who signed this letter did.

• Cal

“..when you start seeing ad hominem attacks that offer no reasons at all, that might be a sign that people in the mass hysteria bubble don’t understand what is wrong with your point of view except that it sounds more sensible than their own.”
      Scott Adams (Dilbert creator)

• Nancy Morris

Yesterday, August 19, Mnuchin responded to this letter from his classmates:

https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/b47bc3a683f8b0880ea2c6c607c0e88fb5dd2c51bee4685ee1bdc81c49116e3c.jpg

An excerpt:

“I strongly condemn the actions of those filled with hate and with the intent to harm others.. They have no defense from me nor do they have any defense from the president or this administration. … While I find it hard to believe I should have to defend myself on this, or the president, I feel compelled to let you know that the president in no way, shape or form, believes that neo-Nazi and other hate groups who endorse violence are equivalent to groups that demonstrate in peaceful and lawful ways…. I don’t believe the allegations against the president are accurate, and I believe that having highly talented men and women in our country surrounding the president in his administration should be reassuring to you and all the American people.”

In his statement, he also noted the policy priorities he hopes to achieve in office, including tax reform, economic growth, and stopping terrorist financing.

• Cal

“We call upon you, as our friend, our classmate, and as a fellow American, to resign in protest of President Trump’s support of Nazism and white supremacy.”
    Yale Alumni, Class af ’85
    That is a very serious charge levied against the POTUS. Is this an ad hominem attack or do they back up this accusation with any evidence?
    crickets

• NRA is for Ninnys

You’re being willfully ignorant.

• “M”

You should know the answers to all of your “questions” by now. But my guess is that you’re one of those willing to close your eyes – or maybe you’re one of the “he’s not hurting the people he’s ‘supposed to be hurting'” types like Crystal Minton.

(NB – What do you think she meant? Whom do you think are the people, according to her, he’s “supposed to be hurting”?)

Also – how much evidence do you need over and above his “very fine people on both sides” when one of the “both sides” ringleaders was convicted of both a hate crime and homicide??