History lecturer, assistant director of the Center for Language Study and deputy Title IX Coordinator Angela Gleason will serve as the next dean of Morse College, incoming and outgoing Yale College Deans Marvin Chun and Jonathan Holloway announced in an email to the residential college Thursday morning.

Gleason was selected by a 10-person search committee of faculty and students to replace Joel Silverman, who announced in May that he would be leaving his role after a decade to serve as the inaugural director of academic and educational affairs in the Yale College Dean’s Office.

“We are confident that Ms. Gleason will make many significant and positive contributions to the life of the college, and we hope you will join Professor Panter-Brick and us in welcoming her to Morse,” Holloway and Chun wrote in a joint email.

Gleason has served as the deputy Title IX coordinator for Yale College since 2014 but will step down in order to assume the Morse deanship, according to Holloway. Holloway said that while Gleason has the “energy and skill” to serve in both roles, doing so would be an unreasonable workload for a new dean and could lead to major conflicts of interest. He added that a search is underway for Gleason’s successor.

University Title IX Coordinator and Deputy Provost Stephanie Spangler told the News her office will work with Yale College to appoint its next deputy Title IX coordinator.

“It has been a real pleasure and privilege to work closely with Angie Gleason,” Spangler said. “She is unfailingly committed to the well-being of Yale students and is an excellent choice for the next dean of Morse College.”

Beyond her work in the Office of the Provost and at the CLS, Gleason has also worked and lived with students as a residential fellow of Old Campus and Swing Space and as a Davenport College fellow. She is also an advisory board member of the Native American Cultural Center, and co-founded and directed the Native American Language Project.

Gleason, whose academic research focuses on early medieval legal and social history as well as modern sports history, has also served on the Faculty Committee on Athletics.

In a Thursday afternoon email to the Morse community, Head of College Catherine Panter-Brick expressed her excitement about the decision and praised Gleason’s “thoughtful engagement” with the CLS and NACC.

“I thank the committee for committing time and effort to conduct an excellent search,” Panter-Brick wrote. “And of course, I thank Dean Silverman for his very genuine commitment, love, and service to Morse — we all wish him well in his new position at Yale.”

In their email, Holloway and Chun described Gleason, an eleventh-generation Mainer, as someone who “has long identified with walruses and very much looks forward to joining the kindred Morse community.” Gleason, a sports enthusiast and Red Sox fan — a team for which she worked as a paid speechwriter in 2009 — is also an avid traveler, adventurous baker and amateur musician currently learning the ukulele.

Gleason earned her B.A in philosophy and history from Saint Joseph’s College and both her M.Phil in medieval history and Ph.D. in history from Trinity College, University of Dublin.

This story has been updated to include a comment from Stephanie Spangler.

ZAINAB HAMID
RACHEL TREISMAN