Amanda Hu

In the wake of President Donald Trump’s decision to withdraw from the Paris climate accord, Yale is considering joining a group of more than 80 universities that have pledged to meet the greenhouse gas emission targets laid out in the agreement, according to Vice President for Communications Eileen O’Connor.

Although Yale already has its own carbon reduction plan, the University has reached out to former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg — who is leading an effort to commit cities, states and corporations to fulfilling the United States’ obligations under the Paris accord — to ask about his climate pact.

Other universities that have joined the pact include Emory & Henry College, Wesleyan and Brandeis, according to The New York Times.

“We are inquiring with Bloomberg as to the plan they are discussing and whether Yale should sign on as well,” O’Connor told the News. “Yale will continue our long-standing commitment to reductions in carbon emissions first made in 2005, which align with commitments made by the U.S. in the Paris Climate Agreement, despite any decisions by the federal government.”

In 2005, Yale committed to reducing its greenhouse gas emissions by 43 percent before 2020. And last October, Yale unveiled a new sustainability plan that aims to make the University carbon neutral by 2050.

Between 2005 and July 2016, the University reduced its greenhouse gas emissions by 24 percent, O’Connor said.

DAVID YAFFE-BELLANY