Courtesy of YaleNews

Assistant Dean of Academic Affairs Pamela George has resigned from her position, Yale College Dean Jonathan Holloway announced in a Wednesday afternoon email to colleagues in the College.

George, whose resignation came halfway through the semester, has worked at Yale in a variety of roles since 1999. In her capacity as assistant dean of academic affairs, George oversaw transfer student affairs, chaired Yale College’s Committee on Reinstatement and served as the secretary of the Executive Committee, the collegewide disciplinary body which receives complaints of alleged academic and nonacademic infractions.

In his email, Holloway expressed his gratitude for George’s service to Yale College and wished her the best in her future endeavors. He added that the College will begin seeking a permanent successor to George as soon as possible but did not give a further explanation for her departure.

George served as the director of Yale’s Afro-American Cultural Center from 1999 to 2010, when she moved to the Dean’s Office to continue her work with the Executive Committee, the Committee on Reinstatement and transfer student affairs.

“I am sad to see Dean George leave. [George] played a major role in so many aspects of the Yale College experience in her 17 years here,” Holloway told the News. “For a decade she was a force to be reckoned with at the Afro-American Cultural Center. I know that she made significant contributions to ‘The House’ as well as to the students who looked to that space as a home away from home.”

While the University searches for George’s successor, Dean of Academic Affairs Mark Schenker will handle reinstatement matters, according to Holloway’s email, and former Assistant Dean of Academic Affairs Jill Cutler will assume the role of secretary of the Executive Committee, a position she has held in the past.

Schenker did not respond to requests for comment on George’s resignation, and Cutler declined to comment. Email requests for comment from George were met with an automated response stating that George was away from the office.

“As far as Dean George’s decision to resign, I must leave that up to her for comment,” Holloway told the News.

George previously served as administrative director for Yale’s Science, Technology and Research Scholars Program, the Beckman Science Scholar Program, the Freshman Ethnic Counselor Program and the Amy Rossborough Fellowship.

Prior to coming to Yale, she worked in the Office of Academic Advising at Saint Mary’s College of California, directed the Adolescent Family Life Program for Pregnant and Parenting Teens in Alameda and Contra Costa counties in California, and served as a social psychology researcher at the Institute for the Advanced Study of Black Family Life and Culture. George was also an adjunct faculty member at the College of Ethnic Studies at San Francisco State University.

In 2004, she was awarded the Richard H. Brodhead Award for Excellence in Academic Advising at Yale.

ZAINAB HAMID