Rosa Bolt

Updated Jan. 18, 7:20 p.m.

A female pedestrian was struck and killed by a car at the intersection of York Street and South Frontage Road at about 3:10 yesterday afternoon.

The victim was Melissa Tancredi, a 42-year-old Waterbury resident, according to a New Haven Police Department report released on Wednesday. Two witnesses — both of whom worked at nearby restaurants — said Tancredi worked as a nurse at Yale New Haven Hospital. However, a media spokesperson for the hospital said he could not comment on Tancredi’s employment status.

Tancredi was standing fully on the sidewalk at the north-east corner of the intersection when she was struck, according to the NHPD report. The department believes that the driver, 29-year-old Hamden resident Agneze Izzo, was moving east down South Frontage Street when in the left turn lane when the accident happened. Instead of turning, she continued straight, drove over the curb and hit Tancredi before crashing into a poll and the corner of the air-rights garage.

In an email to the News, NHPD spokesman David Hartman said Izzo stayed on the scene after the accident and was working with investigators. Izzo was evaluated and released from YNHH following the accident, according to the report.

A bystander, Rosa Bolt, who was working at the Subway on the corner of York and South Frontage when the crash occurred, said she saw a car swerve off the road and strike a pole directly across from the Subway. Bolt added that shortly thereafter she saw a female bystander perform CPR on the woman who was hit. Bolt said ambulances arrived about 10 minutes after the accident to shuttle the woman to Yale New Haven, located on the opposite side of the street from the accident.

Alex Aglan, who works at the restaurant on the corner where the crash occurred and saw the scene of the crash before the woman was taken away, recognized her as a regular at his restaurant and said she was “a very sweet woman.”

By 5:00, the NHPD had closed off most of the intersection where the incident occurred with crime scene tape and blockaded adjacent intersections.

NHPD Traffic Officer Robert DuPont is leading the investigation of the event, per the NHPD report. DuPont and a team of trained forensic investigators have been reviewing video of the crash and collected physical evidence at the scene. The department said it expects the investigation to continue for a week or more.

JON GREENBERG