The possible renaming of Calhoun College will be decided in February, according to a Monday morning email from University President Peter Salovey.

Last month, Salovey established a three-person task force to apply the University’s newly released principles for renaming to the debate over Calhoun, which has divided the campus community for the last year and a half.

According to his email, Salovey will bring the task force’s renaming recommendation to the Yale Corporation, which will then make a final decision on whether Calhoun should be changed and, if so, what name should replace it.

“I expect these matters to be discussed and decided upon in February,” Salovey wrote. The Yale Corporation is scheduled to meet that month.

Salovey formed the Calhoun task force in December, after the Committee to Establish Principles on Renaming released a 24-page report outlining guidelines for all future renaming decisions at Yale. Last year, the University elected to keep the name of Calhoun, after a long-running campus debate that administrators now say would have benefitted from clear guidelines for renaming decisions.

“The trustees and I will benefit greatly from several years’ worth of input from Yale students, faculty, staff, and alumni, who have produced thousands of messages on all sides of the naming/renaming question,” Salovey wrote. “If we decide to rename Calhoun College, we will also benefit from the hundreds of unique naming suggestions that have been made in response to several solicitations for the names of the new residential colleges.”

DAVID YAFFE-BELLANY