The Yale women’s basketball team was thoroughly dismantled by Stanford in its penultimate contest of the calendar year. The Bulldogs allowed an opponent to eclipse the century-point mark for the first time in six seasons as the No. 13 Cardinal cruised to a 102–44 victory in Palo Alto.

Seventeen days removed from its last game, Yale (8–4, 0–0 Ivy) got out to a sluggish start and allowed Stanford (10–2, 0–0 Pac-12) to hold a lead for the entirety of the matchup. The Cardinal had four double-digit scorers and shot over 50 percent from both the field and beyond the arc while the Elis failed to reach 30-percent shooting in either category.

The Bulldogs expected a tough outing against an impressive Stanford squad whose only losses came to teams receiving votes in the most recent Associated Press National Rankings Poll; however, few predicted a 58-point margin of victory in favor of the home team.

Yale simply could not keep up with a Cardinal team that put together a comprehensive victory from the first whistle to the last. Stanford had more rebounds, assists, steals and blocks than the Elis while committing fewer turnovers in Wednesday afternoon’s game.

The lone bright spot for the visiting Bulldogs came from center Megan Gorman ’20 who scored a career-high 21 points and secured seven rebounds in the rout. In 36 minutes of action, Gorman shot 8–17 from the field on a day when the four leading scorers for Yale could only muster 12 total points against a staunch Stanford defense.

Yale will look to bounce back from this loss in its final game of 2016 against the University of California Santa Barbara on Dec. 31 at 3 p.m.

WON JUNG