Robbie Short

CAMBRIDGE, MASS. — The streak is over.

A 2–7 Yale football team limped into Harvard Stadium on Saturday to face a Crimson squad that needed one win in order to lock up its fourth consecutive Ivy League title. But after 60 minutes of play, it was Yale that ended up celebrating on the field, a 21–14 victory in hand, while Harvard fans and players filed out of their stadium, shocked.

The Yale (3–7, 3–4 Ivy) defensive unit played its best game of season against an immensely tough challenge and held the Harvard (7–3, 5–2) offense to just 14 points after it came into The Game averaging 27.6 per contest. Bolstered by a cadre of freshmen — including quarterback Kurt Rawlings ’20, who likely became the first freshman to quarterback Yale to a win over Harvard — the Elis offense put up three touchdowns and did not turn the ball over a single time.

“There’s a long streak, we didn’t want to talk about it but it’s over,” Rawlings said. “Now it’s our streak and it’s the start of something new. I’m excited to get rolling in the off season and build on this.”

The Yale defense played its best when it mattered most, holding Harvard scoreless in the final 23 minutes of the game. Crimson quarterback Joe Viviano — who ranks third in the Ivy League in passing yards this season — completed just two passes in the first half, while his top receiver Justice Shelton-Mosley gained just 50 yards all game. As the game progressed, the Elis’ pass rush heated up and prevented Viviano from finding his receivers on late drives.

Reno made several gutsy play calls which proved crucial to Yale’s victory. Down 7–0 late in the first half, holder Andrew Johnson ’18 executed a fake field goal, completing a 16-yard pass to tight end Leo Haenni ’17 on fourth-and-four. Lamar’s touchdown came four plays later.

“The bottom line is that it was a great call, a great play and they executed,” Harvard head coach Tim Murphy said. “Obviously, we should have covered it better and that’s on me.”

Reno made an even bolder decision to start the second half when kicker Blake Horn ’18 attempted an onside kick, tapping the ball 10 yards and recovering it himself to catch Harvard completely off guard. Yale went on to score a touchdown five plays later.

obviously we had a few breakdowns when we let things get away from us,” Manora said. “[We had] some huge plays in the pass game. Any time we get a victory it’s a great defensive effort.”

While this season was, in many ways, a disappointment — five of the team’s seven losses were by 14 points or more — it ended on the highest of highs.

Saturday marked Reno’s first victory against Harvard as a head coach in his five-year tenure, though he was an assistant for the Bulldogs when Yale defeated Harvard in 2006.

“You grow as the season goes on, and this team grew every week,” head coach Tony Reno said. “Sometimes it wasn’t easy to see in the score … but what we saw today was the hard work these kids have put in all season long.”

The Elis finished the Ivy League season in a fourth-place tie with Brown. Penn and Princeton finished tied for first, and Harvard came in second.

• http://www.artspace.com/magazine/interviews_features/lists/the-10-worst-ways-to-die-in-a-hieronymous-bosch-painting-53872 Hieronymus Machine

Double post. Deleted

In a loss of nigh Hillaryous proportion, those nancies of Yale did Trump the Crimson smug mugs at home; “Fight fiercely Harvard: Fight! Fight! Fight! Impress us with your prowess, do.”
    Boola! Boola! Bow wow wow!

• Proud PC ’05 alumnus

Just when you thought 2016 had delivered enough historic upsets… (Leicester City, Trump, Cowboys dominating, others)…Yale football goes and adds their own chapter!

• Puppet’s Puppet

I do speak from personal experience here: The way you come away feeling about the whole damn season comes down to whether or not you beat Harvard.

• Yankinengland

That’s exactly right! You can have a terrible, losing season….but if, at the end, you beat Harvard, it was a great season! That’s what makes the Ivy rivalries and traditions so rich and rewarding! (Connor ’70)

• John Brubaker

As a class of 76 alum, my heartiest congratulations to everyone associated with this epic victory. I have been rooting for Yale football since 1960, as a second grader in nearby Woodbridge. This ranks high in my heart among.Yale wins over Harvard. The team was magnificent in every phase. Played with great courage and poise. The successful onside kick to start the 2nd half set the stage for one of the most memorable 30 minutes of football in many decades of this storied rivalry. Coach Reno and the entire Yale football community can look with pride and satisfaction on one of the truly great wins in program history. Yale finishes season at 3-7. Harvard at 7-3. The Yale football banquet will be raucous. The Harvard version funereal. Bulldog! Bulldog! Bowowow. Eli Yale!!!

• 127guy

Took you 40 years to get that full of yourself?

• http://www.findagrave.com/ jack31961

Well Done, and that comes from a Harvard Fan.

• Michael Henry

A great team victory! Throw out the record books!

• David Elwell

I was a freshman player in 1979 when we gave up our undefeated season to Harvard in the Yale Bowl 22-7. This monumental win was sweet revenge for that ’79 GAME, and others, for many Yalies. Congratulations on a great and historic triumph!!

• Rod Carveth

I remember in 1973, Yale hosted Harvard at the Bowl. We were 5-3 and Harvard was 7-1. Harvard was heavily favored and we beat them 35-0. It made the whole season.

• heavensdoor

This is a great upset..wonderful..good for the Yalies. 50 years ago the
    college would have been turned upside down in celebration!