Incumbent Rep. Rosa DeLauro (D-Conn.) won her 14th term by a margin of 32 percentage points Tuesday. The election was called at 9 p.m.

DeLauro, a New Haven resident who has represented Connecticut’s third district since 1991, has continued to win re-election since she assumed the seat from fellow Democrat Bruce Morrison, who pursued the gubernatorial race. DeLauro — Connecticut’s longest tenured congresswoman — has been one of the most liberal and active members of the House of Representatives, voting pro-abortion in all cases, advocating for stricter gun control laws and voting for measures to increase the accessibility and ease of voting for citizens in elections.

Her opponent, Republican Angel Cadena, received 34 percent of the vote.

“Rosa is here to stay as long as she wants,” said Rocco Calo, who sits on the board of Teamsters Local Union 1150, a union focused on aviation manufacturers.

Jimmy Tickey, DeLauro’s campaign manager, said he believes people connect with DeLauro in a “special way,” and she never takes anything for granted. Tickey added that DeLauro continued her outreach even on Election Day, talking to people at the polls about the issues.

New Haven, the seat of the third congressional district, played a key role in campaign efforts for DeLauro’s re-election. According to Tickey, all of the campaign’s operations are run out of New Haven, and the Elm City is the “core” of the district. Still, Tickey said, he felt the need to hit every city in the district so DeLauro branched out into West Haven and across the district.

“Even with [DeLauro’s] track record of being so connected with voters, we still had a full effort,” Tickey said. “We had canvassing, phone banking, reaching out in every town and a lot of times working with local candidates and supporting them and supporting candidates around the state, and helping others.”

Calo added that DeLauro has been “instrumental” in working with Sikorsky, Lockheed Martin and Teamsters in getting the airline manufacturer Sikorsky to stay in New Haven this year. According to Calo, DeLauro has not only saved thousands of jobs but also brought new ones into the state.

“She probably brought 30 years’ worth of work into the state, in Stratford,” Calo said. “You hear people talking about the middle class and blue collar workers. Our delegation’s got it.”

Calo added that he has much praise for all of the Democratic delegation, including now-re-elected Sen. Richard Blumenthal LAW ’73 (D-Conn.). Calo also highlighted the diversity in DeLauro’s reception in Shubert Theatre, pointing out that people of all races were represented.

DeLauro campaigned for Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton LAW ’73 in swing states such as Arkansas, Pennsylvania and New Hampshire. The representative emphasized in her speech how wonderful it would be to elect Clinton as the first female president of the United States by the end of the night.

DeLauro expressed her gratitude after the election was called in her favor shortly after 9:00 p.m.

“You’ve given me another chance and I am so grateful to serve as your representative again,” DeLauro said.

DeLauro’s mother, aged 102, also voted for her daughter on Tuesday.

BRITTANY SMITH