Javits Convention Center, New York City, 11:37 p.m. — With Donald Trump leading in Michigan and Wisconsin, and victorious in Florida, the hundreds of Clinton supporters gathered outside are on tenterhooks — still cautiously optimistic, but growing more anxious about the outcome of the election.

Rafael Rodriguez II, who hails from Puerto Rico, expressed disbelief when he learned that Trump had won in Florida, saying he was disappointed that Hispanics failed to carry Clinton to victory.

Still, Rodriguez said that results in California and Massachusetts — which were always expected to go blue — have left him with hope that Clinton could come from behind to clinch the presidency.

Amy Cheng and David Yaffe-Bellany

New York Hilton Midtown, New York City, 10:29 p.m. — As Donald Trump surges ahead in Florida, Ohio and North Carolina, the mood outside has become ecstatic. Cars blared their horns to the cheers of fanatic Trump supporters, who chanted slogans such as “Drain the swamp” and “USA” from a metal enclosure on the sidewalk across the street from the hotel. Residents and tourists walking through the scene seemed dazed by the frenzy.

Trump supporter and New York City resident Brendan Murphy said he was not surprised by Trump’s surge in the polls, and called his victory “a question of when, not if.” Murphy explained that he originally supported Bernie Sanders, but switched to Trump’s camp after Sanders’ loss in the Democratic primary. He said he could not bring himself to support a candidate that, to him, represented resignation to the status quo.

“She’s another neo-con,” Murphy said. “She’ll do nothing different than what has been done in the last three election cycles. She’ll keep us at war and lie to the public.”

When asked what a Trump presidency would look like, he said it would be “like nothing he’d ever seen in [his] lifetime.”

“I’ve never seen a candidate come out of nowhere, take on 16 entrenched members of his party and kick their asses,” Murphy said. “He holds all the control, and the people support him.”

Jon Greenberg and Myles Odermann

Javits Convention Center, New York City, 10:28 p.m. — The mood outside has turned grim, as results in key swing states continue to favor Trump, who has now officially won Ohio.

Yvonne Fung, a graduate student in New York City, said she fears that “closeted Trump supporters” are tilting the election in favor of the Republican candidate.

“There is a large social presence of Clinton supporters, but it doesn’t represent the large number of Trump supporters who don’t speak up,” Fung said.

Teresa Ma and Jennifer Wichtowski — who both work as architects — said they are increasingly worried that Trump is headed for a surprise victory.

“I am crossing my fingers and hoping that the west coast would do right by us,” Ma said.

Amy Cheng and David Yaffe-Bellany

Javits Convention Center, New York City, 9:40 p.m. — With early results showing a dead heat in several key swing states, Clinton supporters gathered outside the Convention Center said they are still confident that the Democratic candidate will win the election.

Sitting on the street outside the arena, Clinton supporter Alex Roediger said he remains optimistic, despite Trump’s success in Texas and his early leads in Florida, Ohio and Virginia.

“He needs to win more swing states than she does,” Roediger said. “If they call Florida or Pennsylvania, I would be concerned. But I still think she could easily pull it off.”

Amy Cheng and David Yaffe-Bellany

Javits Convention Center, New York City, 9:11 p.m. — The mothers of Eric Garner and Trayvon Martin spoke, accompanied by relatives of other African-American men who have died in shootings or at the hands of the police.

“Secretary Clinton is much like a lot of these moms standing behind me,” said Sybrina Fulton, Martin’s mother. “They represent strength. She represents strength. She represents hope.”

Jordan Spiro, a New York City native in his late 20s, said he will stay at the Javits Convention Center until the race is called.

Sprio said Clinton “stands for all Americans,” and that her political experience — especially her eight years as first lady — would allow her to achieve real change in the White House.

But as polls continue to close across the United States, early results show Trump leading in several key states, including Florida, Virginia and Ohio.

Amy Cheng and David Yaffe-Bellany

Trump Tower, New York City, 8:46 p.m. — Five blocks from the Midtown Hilton, security is also tight. The city is employing seemingly anything it can get its hands on, from cop cars, to metal fences, to garbage trucks, to block off major intersections. Policemen sweep the crowds periodically to keep loiterers moving. Sidewalks are clogged with reporters, cops and protestors brandishing homemade signs and handing out pamphlets. But the streets are fairly quiet. The city seems to be holding its breath.

Jon Greenberg and Myles Odermann

Javits Convention Center, New York City, 8:12 p.m. — Outside the Convention Center, Ben Gilmartin, who lives in New York City, called the election “a no-brainer.”

Gilmartin, who voted for Hillary Clinton in the Democratic primary, said he would support Clinton in the general election even if a less objectionable Republican than Donald Trump were running.

He added that although Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders infused fresh energy into the Democratic primary, Clinton’s political skill ultimately counted for more than Sanders’ grandiose promises.

—Amy Cheng and David Yaffe-Bellany

Javits Convention Center, New York City, 8:00 p.m. — A roar went up from the convention center floor as CNN screened early results showing Hillary Clinton with a three-point lead in Florida, one of several swing states that will likely shape the course of the election.

Meanwhile, thousands of Clinton supporters from across the country lined up outside the convention center in hopes of seeing the Democratic candidate speak at the end of the night.

—Amy Cheng and David Yaffe-Bellany

New York Hilton Midtown, New York City, 7:48 p.m. — Trump supporters are already gathered here, where the candidate plans to hold his “victory party” later tonight. About a dozen supporters are chanting “Hay hay, hi ho, Hillary has got to go” while holding America flags and Trump signs. Most city residents are passing them by without acknowledgement.

“I think the same thing will happen as the Brexit turnout,” said Daniel Palacios, 19, a Trump supporter. Palacios said many voters who did not tell pollsters they support Trump would cast votes in high numbers. Palacios said he thought Trump should have become president in 2012. Four years later, he hopes his prediction will come true.

Several merchandise sellers line the street, trying to sell the supporters Trump-themed souvenirs. One salesman was covered from head to toe in Trump gears, although he said he did not vote for a candidate.

Before the “victory party,” Trump will watch the election results come in with his family at his home in Trump Tower.

Jon Greenberg and Myles Odermann

Javits Convention Center, New York City, 7:36 p.m. — As polls begin to close across the country, G.O.P. candidate Donald Trump has won two heavily Republican states — Indiana and Kentucky — while Hillary Clinton has claimed victory in Vermont.

Still, the key swing states widely expected to determine the result of the election — Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, New Hampshire — remain in play.

—Amy Cheng and David Yaffe-Bellany

Javits Convention Center, New York City, 3:40 p.m.  As he walked out of the Javits Convention Center, Hillary Clinton’s campaign chairman John Podesta told the News he was confident about the outcome of tonight’s election.

“I feel good about the organization we’ve built,” Podesta said.”She’s the candidate who’s talking about bringing us together, and he’s continuing to talk about a vision of the country that’s divided by whether you’re part of his American or the other side.”

Asked whether Clinton has prepared a concession speech, Podesta replied, “I’m not even thinking about that.”

—Amy Cheng and David Yaffe-Bellany

THE YALE DAILY NEWS