Robbie Short

Updated Nov. 5, 12:27 p.m.

A Yale shuttle bus struck a student at the corner of College and Elm streets at approximately 5 p.m. Thursday.

The student, a member of the women’s crew team, was running with her teammates when the bus hit her. Pedro Enamorado ’17, who was on the shuttle when the incident occurred, said he saw the student stumble back a few steps before falling to the ground, at which point she began convulsing. He added that she was bleeding from the head.

The student was taken to Yale New Haven Hospital. Though she suffered injuries from the accident, she is expected to make a full recovery.

Enamorado said the student’s teammates surrounded her as soon as they realized what had happened, and that a police officer stationed at Phelps Gate also ran over to the scene.

According to Enamorado, ambulances arrived about five minutes after the incident and New Haven Police arrived shortly thereafter. He said the bus was moving “not too fast” when it hit the student.

Dante Brown, a 15-year-old eyewitness, said he saw a woman, along with a group of a dozen others, running across College Street toward the New Haven Green when she was struck by a “meandering” bus.

After the bus hit the woman, it came to a full stop, Brown said. Brown added that he could see serious injuries to her face and that the student’s breathing was “belabored.”

Enamorado said one ambulance and one firetruck responded first to the scene, and that there were “at least three patrol cars” blocking off the intersection of College and Elm streets. Police blocked off several nearby intersections as well, including Elm and York streets.

Dean of Student Affairs Camille Lizarribar, who arrived soon before medical staff left for YNHH with the student, said the student “was alert” and that her coaches had been notified.

“She’s in good hands at the hospital, and we’ll be keeping a close eye,” Lizarribar said.

Enamorado also said the student’s eyes were open, and that she “seemed aware of her teammates” around her after being hit. He added that she appeared to be speaking to her teammates, but that he could not hear what was being said from inside the bus.

Lizarribar said the student’s teammates were told to go to Payne Whitney Gymnasium, where they would meet with their coach and other members of the Athletics Office.

The bus driver, as well as women’s crew captain Kate O’Brien ’17, declined to comment on the incident.